Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colt's Pocket Police (Uberti)  (Read 3600 times)

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
Colt's Pocket Police (Uberti)
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:38:23 AM »

After I saw and read about the French Colt, I continued to read about and look for a similar revolver.  Eventually I stumbled on this.

When I got it, it was stock from the Uberti factory.  I had a chunk of elk antler, a shed found in Arizona, so I got out the saw and files and fit the grips you see in the photo.  I load it with .380 round ball and fffG black powder, whatever brand I have at the time.  It is a lot of fun to shoot and these little 36s are the only ones I have fired that actually produce any recoil.  (Shooting my 1861s is like firing a 22.)

Here is a photo f the off side.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:51:00 PM by StrawHat »
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: Colt's Pocket Police (Uberti)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »

You mention recoil, and I've heard that since they are so light. How much is a typical powder charge for you, and what would you compare the recoil to?

I think a Pocket Police will be my next pistol, but I'm not sure if I'll get another barrel for my Lyman's rifle first or not.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »

Enough recoil to notice but not objectionable.  Go slow, get to know the revolvers you have before branching out.  I used my 1861s until I knew exactly what I could count on them to do before I branched out and got another revolver.  Even now, if I charge my 1861s, I know how much or how little holdover I need to use to get hits out to 100 yards, from field positions, not from a bench.  It takes a few pounds of powder and lead, but it is nice to see what the old revolvers could do.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

I've spent some time now with my first revolver, a ROA, and have found I'm adequate as far as COM, but lacking a quality, reliable hunting group as I insist on 4" or less to give myself a little room for error. This is from a stance similar to a Weaver stance, though not pulling back with the offhand, but cupping the base of the butt and holding the base of the strong hand. No rest. It seems I can keep 5 shots nicely grouped, but all too often there's a shot that opens it up beyond even the 6" norm. I'm not sure what I'm doing...

I realize I'm in need of glasses, though i don't think my eyesight is the problem at these closer distances. The 50 yds range with my rifle has shown me just how blurry the bull can be. Hoping to address this soon.

I recently pulled a yucca plant stick to see if a walking stick would help any, but in the field I'd likely try to find a rest of some sort. Maybe I ought to try resting my arm against the wall to see if leaning on a tree might help steady me enough.

I have a Pietta 1858 on the way, but can't stop eyeing these pocket pistols!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »

...can't stop eyeing these pocket pistols!...

(In that case, here is a bit more eye candy.)

It wasn't long before another stray followed me home.

and

Which brings us to this photo.

That was a while ago and I still have not carved a set of grips for the newer one.  Maybe this winter. 

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »

I wish I were in your neighborhood! The only strays I see are these little kitten sized dogs! You's think I was in CA or Mexico or something! I don't understand the need for such tiny dogs...

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:02:05 AM »

Those Police revolvers are perfect, classic look and pack a punch. I like what you did on those grips Strawhat real nice and natural with the elk antler. Looks as good as the ivory on the French Police.
Pages: [1]   Go Up