Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: An Early 1851  (Read 5617 times)

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
An Early 1851
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:00:50 AM »

I am not a big fan of the 1851, matter of fact, I did not get one until after 40 years of handling and shooting C&B revolvers.  But when I saw this one, I liked the way it looked so I brought it home.

It is still unfired and will most likely remain that way.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
Re: An Early 1851
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

Sweet.  Is it one of the G&Us?

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »

I'm actually a bit curious why this model wouldn't be high on the list? Everything I read says it's the best handling pistol of all time, and though I don't see a .36 cal pistol being nearly as useful, unless you are good at small game hunting with one, as a .44/.45 cal pistol, I will likely eventually get one just because of the reputation.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:21:02 AM »

I'm actually a bit curious why this model wouldn't be high on the list? Everything I read says it's the best handling pistol of all time, and though I don't see a .36 cal pistol being nearly as useful, unless you are good at small game hunting with one, as a .44/.45 cal pistol, I will likely eventually get one just because of the reputation.

A variety of reasons.  Mostly cosmetic, I never did appreciate the octagonal barrel and ugly lug at the base of the barrel.  The first pair of C&B revolves I owned were 1861s so the 51 never really had a chance.  For me, the 61s are a more beautiful revolver and handle much better.  Of course, the 1861 is not for everyone, some actually prefer the clunky old 51, just not me.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:42:03 AM »

I have a pair of 1851's but I like the 1861 better

On my long term to do list is to sleeve a 1862 police barrel to 31 and make a pocket 1849 with the round barrel like a mini 1861
NRA Life Member

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 03:35:12 AM »

I have a pair of 1851's but I like the 1861 better

On my long term to do list is to sleeve a 1862 police barrel to 31 and make a pocket 1849 with the round barrel like a mini 1861

I had given some thought to this also.  What stopped me was the lack of a proper conversion cylinder.  It is the one revolver I would like to convert but all the 32 cylinders are for the Dragoon model not for Pocket models.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 06:26:06 AM »

don't the dragoon and pocket models use the same frame?
NRA Life Member

Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:52 AM »

don't the dragoon and pocket models use the same frame?

Yes.  The Pocket Navy & Pocket Police just have the water table cut for the rebated .36 caliber cylinders.

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

Yes.  The Pocket Navy & Pocket Police just have the water table cut for the rebated .36 caliber cylinders.

Correct, so the conversion cylinder would look small in the cutout.

Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »

There would be a normal gap between cylinder and frame at the back 1/3 or so of the cylinder and a larger gap at the forward 2/3s.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »

Was talking about the 31 caliber pocket not the 36's

the 1861 is an 1851 frame with a rounded barrel, creeping loading lever, and non rebated cylinder

what I was saying was I want to make a version of the 1849 in 31 caliber, non rebated frame, with a rounded barrel and creeping loading lever sleeved down to 31 using a 1862 barrel and loading lever

it would be the modern version of the 1849 llike the 1861 is the modern version of the 1851
NRA Life Member

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 05:10:00 AM »

You would need to have a new ram turned to fit the 31 caliber cylinder.  May want to have the 37 caliber hole in the barrel lug sleeved to hold the new ram.  Interesting idea.  I thought you were trying to convert a Pocket Police revolver.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:19:55 AM »

Do the '51 and '61 Navy both have an identical grip frame/panels? And doesn't the '51 grip fit a '60 w/o modification?

I began my interest with the older Colt's taking the prize by far. I didn't care so much for the rounded, sweeping lines of their newer models, nor the silliness of the Remington, but owning a ROA has since softened me up. I've been drooling over the '62 Colt pockets, and think I'd like to get a 6.5" Navy model for woods walkin' and plinkin' , and buy a Police cylinder and either 3.5" or 4.5" barrel assembly for an actual pocket model. I don't quite care for the scroll marks around the Navy cylinders, but prefer the Police cylinder, which has lead me to go at it the other way around by buying a Cimarron 4.5" Police, an extra Police cylinder, and a Navy barrel assembly, but that 3.5" barrel sure would be nice, though I'd prefer some sort of loading lever on the gun, even if it means needing a cheater bar to work it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 06:22:17 AM by rodwha »
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 07:03:25 AM »

I wonder if the plunger from a 31 would fit the loading lever part from a 36 police? Would also need to sleeve the barrel lug like you say but it would make an interesting conversion

I have sen a few original double cased Colts with a 51 Navy and 49 Pocket, this would make a neat set with a 61 Navy and the altered 49 Pocket

the 51 and 61 share the same frame and grips just the barrel and rammer are different. I like the 61 better than the 51 although, for some funny reason, I don't own any

the 60 used the same frame as the 51 only cut for the rebated cylinder but the grips interchange. On the clones it is usually best to stick to mixing iwthin the same manufacturers product although sometimes a ASM will fit a Uberti, etc.
NRA Life Member
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up