Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colt '62 Police Repro's  (Read 4714 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Colt '62 Police Repro's
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:18:19 AM »

I'm looking at a Cimarron 4.5" Police model. Can anyone give me some info on these little pistols?

1) I'd like to know the typical chamber and bore dimensions (land/groove).
2) How easily/hard is it to reattach the barrel and have it line up perfectly?
3) Do these suffer from the common Uberti short arbor problem?
4) Are there any parts other than the nipples you recommend replacing from the git go?
5) Do these tend to shoot quite high like their bigger brothers?
6) Likes/dislikes? What would you change?

I had been considering a Pietta '63 Remington .31 Pocket, but they seem marginal at best, and if a Colt Police can be made 97.235% reliable I'd prefer a more useful pistol.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Colt '62 Police Repro's
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »

OK I had a 4.5 1862 from Cimarron but sold it, I do have 2 5.5 and 2 6.5's at present so I will answer based on what I kknow from them:

1) I'd like to know the typical chamber and bore dimensions (land/groove).

Not sure I never measured them but a .375 ball usually works well

2) How easily/hard is it to reattach the barrel and have it line up perfectly?

Easy

3) Do these suffer from the common Uberti short arbor problem?

The ones I have don't but my 1851 does

4) Are there any parts other than the nipples you recommend replacing from the git go?

No I replaced the nipples with Treso ones but that's it

5) Do these tend to shoot quite high like their bigger brothers?

Yes about 6" to 8"

6) Likes/dislikes? What would you change?

I am having a taller front site dovetailed into one of mine (actually an ASM) but I really like these little pocket rockets. I often use 20 grains of triple 7 and a Kaido 140 grain flat nosed lead bullet and they seem to hit hard for their size
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:09:55 AM »

I'm curious about the diameter differences between that of the chambers and that of the grooves as many of the repros don't seem to have been bored to a proper size as the grooves are often slightly larger allowing the gasses to blow by.

The Pietta Pocket has a horrible difference of something like 0.006" or so.

I've read of people reaming their chambers and getting much better accuracy and higher velocity.

I'm contacting Accurate Molds to see what needs to be done to have my ideas put into his catalog as I'd like to see a very light weight FN bullet available that would give more bearing surface without adding to projectile height which takes away from the powder capacity. I'm thinking of something between 85-100 grns.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »

I have three different bullet designs n 36 one if which is no longer made. PM me your address and I will send you a couple of each to test an look at
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »

I'm just day dreaming at the moment. I think my next purchase will be a .44 cal 1858. That or a small game rifle. But I certainly do want a pocket pistol among many other guns!!!

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »

PM me anyway if your designing your own bullet these will give you some examples to look at.

I don't own any 44's but am buying two Walkers soon. Of course I will be converting them to 36
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »

Can you tell me if the '62's use 12-28 x .200 threads? It's the Slix Shot nipple size for Uberti pistols.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »

The Pietta Remington Pocket is worse then that.  They have .315 chambers and .326 grooves! 

The Palmetto Remington Pocket has .316 chambers and .315 grooves, nice!

The ASM Pocket Police have .374 chambers and .372 grooves, they shoot great also and they have a 1:21 twist too!  Nice for conicals compared to the others (save for maybe 2007 and later Ubertis).

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »

I figured if I bought a Pietta '63 I'd need to see about having the chambers reamed to as close to groove diameter as possible.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »

They should be .327 or .328 to make them shoot better.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 06:48:26 PM »

I'd be concerned about enough meat between the chambers as well as the edges of the cylinder. Were I to consider this .31 I'd just have to go as far as the smith feels comfortable, and anything larger than what it is is better than it was. I assumed that .319-.321" wouldn't be unreasonable.

And if it were found that I couldn't quite get to groove diameter, if not over, maybe a custom hollow base bullet mold could help.

But Jaxenro sent me a file on fixing the cap jams of even the pocket Colts. It looks fool proof! Enough so I've decided that when the time comes for a compact pistol I'll likely get a 4.5" Cimarron Police model.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »

Just get an ASM or Palmetto instead.  More tuning and spares issues but they can be made to shoot as intended and not just plinkers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up