Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mass Arms Co., Dragoon  (Read 2602 times)

The Colonial

• View Profile
Mass Arms Co., Dragoon
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:22:39 AM »

This is my Massachusetts Arms Co.ís Wesson & Leavitt dragoon or Army percussion revolver, sn 284. Itís a bit on the rough side but the story that came with this old gun was that it was recovered from a rubbish dump some 50 or more years ago.
Being only a 40 calibre six shot revolver with a six inch round barrel you would expect it to be a bit more compact and light than it is, but that is not the case. Using the wifeís kitchen scales it comes in about only 5 ounces lighter than my Colt 2nd model dragoon.
Its technical details are:
   40 caliber;
   6 inch round barrel with brass blade front sight;
   single action six shot side hammer;
   seven grooved rifling;
This gun has some other unusual features. The first being how the barrel is attached to the frame and the abor pin. Pictures tell a better story. The other is the cylinder, tapered at the rear and domed at the front.
The back of the cylinder also has six holes that accept a locking pin that engages upon firing. This hold the cylinder in place.
But this gun has one other feature that I have never seen on any Mass Arms Co. gun. It has a safety! In front of the trigger guard there is a small brass thumb screw that when turned sends another locking pin into the base of the cylinder, thus locking it up. The only way you can cock the gun is to disengage the pin by reversing the turn on the thumb screw. The photos are better at explaining this.
I have seen other Mass Arms Co., guns with a filler screw at the front of the trigger guard but never another one with this brass thumb screw.

Cheers from The Colonial.

Dragoon Right Side

Dragoon Left Side

Top Strap Address

Main Components

Cylinder Close Up

Rear of Cylinder

Cylinder Rotation Plate and Pins

Thumb Screw

Thumb Screw With Locking Pin Engaged

flahipneck

• View Profile
Re: Mass Arms Co., Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:12:04 PM »

Interesting. Never seen one.

G Dog

• View Profile
Re: Mass Arms Co., Dragoon
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36:21 PM »

Interesting. Never seen one.
Neither had I.  Those are really fine pictures.  Very informative.
Pages: [1]   Go Up