Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What brand?  (Read 3856 times)

sweed

• View Profile
What brand?
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »

Greetings all
I have from childhood a 51 navy brasser, and a pocket ? 5 shot 31. Havent had them out lately so I dont know it they are ubirty, pitia.... what ever. I'm thinkin on buying some more cap guns, and would like to know if there is much difference in the quality of the various brands? Is the price differences in correlation with the quality difference?
I dont, nor will I ever have a "safe Queen", nor do I have any ego left that demands owning  8)  such&such brand just for the name! Lead on target!!! All that maters.  ;D Any suggestions? The 51 is the best point&shoot gun Ive ever shot, so I'm partial to colts. However I've seen a lot of 'discussion"  ::)  about Rem. being the better gun. Honest opinions on that would be appreciated.

Thanks
sweed

swathdiver

• View Profile
Re: What brand?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Your 5-shot .31 is likely an old Armi San Marco which is now out of business.  The only company that still makes them today is Uberti.  Pietta and Uberti both make the Colt 1851 Navy both are generally excellent in fit and finish and quality.

The Remington New Model Army is also offered by Pietta and Uberti in the United States.  The Uberti model is very closely sized to the originals while the Pietta are slightly oversized.  Again, the fit and finish and quality of both generally are excellent.

The Colt revolvers are natural pointers, the Remingtons have better sights and can take heavier loads, especially when compared to the brass framed revolvers.

Some will argue that you get a nicer gun by going Uberti, many others are very happy with the fit and finish of their lower priced Pietta's, myself included.

sweed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:52:18 AM »

Thanks swathdiver
With all the 'discussion' I was gettin confused, warrie about buyin anything. Your notes will help immensely. Can you show what Armi San Marco mark looks like?

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Often the name is spelled out or a portion of the name, like SM, S Marco or ASM or San Marco, they were all over the place.  There are photos on the forums of their not often used logo, I don't remember it as none of mine have it. 

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:40:04 AM »

I like Cimarron Uberti. A little more expensive than Pietta but I think a little nicer finished.
NRA Life Member

sweed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:18:37 AM »

Well, got a little time and dug them out. The 36 is a uberiti 09162. Is that early? The 5 shot is a Replica arms Inc. Marietta, Ohio. 1551 Only other marks I find on the face of the cylinder, PN. And the serial number around between chambers.  Has a 5 1/2" barrel. Thinkin about reducing that to about 4". Any thoughts?

BTW the 5 shot has no loading leaver. Its not a pocket model, Thought just came to me it was called a "gambler"? ? ? Maybe?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:25:31 AM by sweed »

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 07:48:11 AM »

Can you post pics?
NRA Life Member

sweed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:04:48 AM »

I'd be ashamed!    :-[ :-[  When Ike blew threw here I got 6' salt water in my shop. Got 8' in the house!    :( All I could do is wash down my guns, and pickel them in wd-40. They will need a real cleaning and possiably blueing. Should have my new shop compleet by winter, so I can get at it. Just now beginnin to think about some down time projects, as apposed to absolutly have to projects.

sweed
Pages: [1]   Go Up