Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOOTING .45 AUTO JACKETED BULLETS IN A .44 PERCUSSION REVOLVER???  (Read 2875 times)

Southron

• View Profile

Is it even safe? I don't know.

It might be interesting to experiment uisng in a .44 percussion revolver with [and NO, I haven't tried it yet] JACKETED, HP bullets designed for the .45 Auto. I can think of several possible Self-Defense applications for those that carry percussion revolvers to protect life and limb.

[Maybe the experiments would need to be carried out with a pistol clamped in a pistol rest and the gun fired by the shooter pulling a long string from a safe distance away.]

Yes, yes, yes, I know-the rifling grooves for jacketed bullets tend to be shallow compared to the rifling grooves for lead bullets-but it would be interesting to see IF jacketed bullets could be SAFELY shot from a .44 percussion revolver.

WHAT IF THEY KEY HOLED??

I remember reading somewhere that according to FBI statistics the "average distance" for gunfights to take place in this country is something like 7 FEET!

So, at 7 FEET, a bullet that Key Holed would have a great advantage when it came to "Stopping Power" in my way of thinking.

So, Please let me know what your opinion is. Let's think "out of the envelope" for a moment.

ALL RESPONSES WILL BE WELCOME!

THANKS!!!

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: SHOOTING .45 AUTO JACKETED BULLETS IN A .44 PERCUSSION REVOLVER???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

The first set of hurdles would be that the chambers may be undersized. My Pietta '58 has .446" chambers. The next being that we use oversized projectiles so that they are sized perfectly to fit into the chamber and are held in place so that recoil cannot dislodge them.

Then there is the fact that reproductions are built with softer steel, and so I'd question how well the lands would hold up if they weren't too deep and caused issues.

I had Accurate Molds design me a few bullets, one of which I had in mind to be used as a self defense type with a large meplat and short length. Being only .400" long it should hold an even larger powder charge over a ball, yet it weighs 170 grns.

The meplat is .375" in diameter, and I figure if it doesn't expand it'll still tear a good sized hole, and if it does expand it expands from that point instead of with a ball the much smaller impact point.

I am considering sending my mold to a hollow pointing service to have it, a 195 grn bullet, as well as a 285 grn bullet reworked. I'd also send him my ram so that it could be modified so as not to damage the bullets upon loading.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:36:07 AM »

Years ago, some competitiors would ream the cylinders on the Remington C&B revolver to accept the 200 grain lead SWC bullet for target work.  It worked well enough some of them won medals.  So, reaming the cylinder is one way to get to the results you want.

The jacketed bulllet will grab the rifling easier than a soft lead bullet will so I do not see tipping being a problem.  As for wearing out the lands of a barrel, hogwash.  Copper is still softer than iron so that is not going to happen.

Now for some real fun, load those HPs backwards for the full wadcutter effect.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »

One fellow had been loading .451-2" SWC's in his Ruger and said that extreme compression would flatten them out so they'd grip the chamber walls. He sent me some to try out, but they didn't seem to work well for me. Kept hearing of people turning 'em backwards and tried it. Sure enough! Worked well.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »

Well, last night I was ready to order a set of Plug Gauges from Grizzly so I could determine the EXACT diameter of each and every chamber of my Remmy and the bore diameter.

DANG!!! Grizzly has now discontinued selling those sets!

So, will use the old fashioned method...i.e., take nipples out of cylinder, re-install cylinder in revolver and then seat a round ball that "shaves" a ring of lead.

Will also have to number my chambers. Tap out round ball from rear by inserting rod thru nipple hole and mike balls to determine their true diameter.

After that, will ream out my chambers IF they need it.

Reamers are like mould cherries...every time you sharpen them, they cut a smaller diameter cavity. I figure that the Italians try to use the same reamers in their cylinders way too long and that is why some of us end with undersize chambers.

Oh yes....when it comes to repro revolvers, the Italians LOVE to use that "Free Machining Steel" which is "softer" than some of the steels used by American firearms manufacturers.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:29:57 PM »

I'm curious what happened with this.

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:43:25 PM »

I'm curious what happened with this.

So am I...

Bill

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »

Isn't there a coversion cylinder made for either the 45 remmie or colt in 45 auto?
NRA Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up