Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rudy Is Right  (Read 1885 times)

swathdiver

• View Profile
Rudy Is Right
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:47:52 AM »

For years people had been writing that a 28 grain charge of 3Fg was the sweet spot for a Pietta Remington revolver accuracy wise.  They stated that anything over this, accuracy diminished. 

Others said the competition shooters use 15 grains of 3Fg and 25 grains of cream of wheat to get the ball just under the end of the chamber and use grease over the ball for lubrication.

Then fellows with a name behind their claims like Rudy said to use 35 grains of 3Fg and a wad for power and accuracy.

So yesterday I set out to test these ideas and came up with 14, 5 round groups to shoot at 25 feet for this battery of tests.  Two patches sprayed with Ballistol were run down the barrel between each 5-shot string.

The first 4 targets of 5 rounds each were to use cream of wheat to fill the chamber over 15, 20, 24 and 30 grain charges of Schuetzen 3Fg with grease over the balls.  The best 5-shot group by over an inch went to the 15gr charge at 2.44.  Eliminating the flyer, the best group went to the 30gr charge which came in at .88.

The next 4 targets still used the cream of wheat but now included a lubricated wad instead of grease over the ball.  Again the 15gr charge won at 2.38 for the 5-shot group and the 24gr charge won the 4-shot group at 1.13

The following 3 targets were grease over the ball only, the round seated directly on top of the black powder.  24, 30 and 35 grain charges were used for these six tests.  The winner of the 5-shot group was the 35gr charge at 2.75 and it also won the 4-shot with 1.19 grouping.

Finally, it was the wads turn to run solo and again the 35gr charge came out on top both times with tiny 1.13 and .88 groups respectively.

This gun likes the extremes, 15grains for plinking and 35gr for max flame and boom.  When that thing went off at 35 grains, all other shooters stopped to watch!

The next battery of tests will reproduce the best 35gr loads at 25 feet and then at 50 feet.  Then the gun will shoot the better of those two at 25 and 50 yards.

I will likely run this again or something similar as the Schuetzen is about gone and Olde Eynsford is expected to replace it.

Rudy is right!

- James Burns

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rudy Is Right
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:51:39 AM »

Cool test thanks for sharing the results
NRA Life Member

mike116

• View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »

Interesting.   I might try the same format and see if results match.  I wonder if results from a 5 1/5inch barrel and a 12 inch barrel would be similar.  I have all three barrel lengths.  It might be interesting to run that series through all three barrel sizes and compare.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »

I considered the same with my 5.5" but I was solo that day and could not shoot 140 rounds in one day (not physically able) like that.  I did run a similar test with the Belt Revolver (.36 cal) with both round ball and conicals and learned that that gun loves the most powder possible to shoot the tightest groups. 

Next time out I'll shoot the winners again from 25 feet, then 50 feet and take the best one and shoot ten more rounds at 25 and 50 yards each.  That should settle it.

By then I'll be out of Shuetzen powder and be using Olde Eynsford from then on and have to do it all over again! 

I do plan to use the Chrony to test those most powerful and accurate round ball and conical loads, maybe in the fall when it's cooler out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up