Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Types of hunting you do with your revolver(s)  (Read 3392 times)

Crawdad

• View Profile
Types of hunting you do with your revolver(s)
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:37 AM »

I hunt groundhogs and coyote and small game and I'm thinking about using it for turkey also, my poor revolver is getting a real workout, but what do others hunt with theirs? 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:55:52 AM by Crawdad »

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: Types of hunting you do with your revolver(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »

My shooting skills with a handgun just aren't up to par with what I feel is necessary. Until then it is a sidearm.

I'd like to try some rested shooting to see if I could hunt from a fixed position with a good rest.

I cut a yucca plant's stick to see if it would work as a portable rest, but I'm just not a very still creature!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:44 AM »

Groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, things like that.  Mostly found when I am out woods walking or walking along a tree or fenceline.  When I go out, I usually carry a rifle and a handgun.  If the rifle is suitable, I will use that.  If not, than the revolver.

Ohio does not allow a C&B revolver for deer.  If it did, I would likely try for one with one of the 1860s.  Maybe one of the horse revolvers.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:49:53 AM »

That's the one thing if you go up to ask a farmer if you can hunt groundhogs and coyote on their property, "Go right ahead"
But they usually want to check out your revolver first though, that always takes a lot of time.  :P

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:38 AM »

Even with a flintlock rifle I have never taken a deer farther than 30 yards. I continue to practice with my 60' Army I'm going deer hunting with it.  That pretty much means I'll be using my revolver all year long,   Poor thing!!!  ;)

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »

I'm using my ROA for deer this year. I might carry the 1858 Remington once or twice. Won't know until I wind up in the woods with one of them on my hip.

Kaido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 03:53:40 AM »

I hunt all lawful Small, Medium and Big Game with my Percussion Revolvers. Deer, Bear and Wild Boar, I could hunt turkey but it has to be with Shot Loaded in the Cylinder as that is the Law in New York State.

The Percussion Revolver, is a timeless efficient and outstanding implement for hunting. It has been overlooked, marginalized and maligned. Most of this negativity is due to the way The 20th century Replica Revolvers were made with smaller cylinder chambers and barrel bores, smaller frames etc and Weaker Powders Propellants, all of which were not up to par with the original 19th Century Revolvers and Powders. About the year 2000 the majority of Replica Percussion Revolvers were being produced with larger frames, bigger strait walled down to the start of the Nipple threads, new Powders propellants available, like Swiss; Goex, Express/Old Eyensford, Triple Seven, Black MZ and projectiles like my Universal Bullets which have been proven to successfully take big game animals with Percussion Revolvers  have aided and expanded the possibilities of a slowly growing new old way so to speak of ethically harvesting game animals. Check out my Facebook page (Kaido93) which has a lot on Hunting with Percussion Revolvers. While we have to be careful of Facebook, it can be used as a good source to spread the positive uses of ethical hunting with Percussion Revolvers, I urge all to do so.

For those interested in propagating and aiding this type of hunting, I encourage you to join my on line group, the Yahoo International Black Powder Handgun Hunters.

We are a grass roots movement that seeks to inform, educate by demonstrating ethical Hunting Practices and we also actively aggressively work to overturn arbitrary laws and regulations in various venues which wrongly prohibit our ethical way of hunting.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:00:11 AM by Kaido »
Pages: [1]   Go Up