Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Bullet  (Read 2229 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Custom Bullet
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:53:36 AM »

I finally ordered my mold from Accurate Molds, and one of the designs is a short bullet that takes up less space than a ball.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-170C-D.png

It weighs a little more than I wanted it to, but I think it will work well. I was wanting ~160 grns of pure lead so as to keep it moving at a similar pace as a RB, and keep the ability to deform rapidly and wide. I have been considering sending it out to be hollow pointed, but I figure I ought to try it out first and see what I think of them as is.

It looks a little odd, but I think it ought to work fairly well. Were I to have it hollow pointed I'd think I'd want it to be rather shallow since it's short, and leave a thick rim since it's being pressed by the ram, and you don't want much deformation.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Hawken50

• View Profile
Re: Custom Bullet
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 05:01:20 AM »

;D Cool. I would say you wouldnt need to hollow point it, that fat nose bullet is going to pack some serious punch.
To the sunny slopes of long ago.

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »

Here is a 150 grain bullet, reports say it is a good one.

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=d3fb4508-70e1-4d9b-87bd-6d9c2d504d33

Not a HP but that can be remedied.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »

I wouldn't think a HP was necessary either, but then I began reading several posters claiming their PRB's traveling much faster didn't expand, and that expansion just didn't usually happen. So I wanted to ensure it did.

But I'd like to cast a bunch up and give some a try before I do anything to it, especially now that I see he (Hollow Point Mold) doesn't offer reversible hollow point pins as I had thought.

I've actually been thinking of reaching out to people with a chronograph, as well as those with the ability to form up some ballistics gel, for some better testing while using a powder such as Swiss, Olde E, or Triple 7. I don't know that my range allows that sort of stuff.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »

I've seen that bullet, but wanted a wider meplat, longer driving bands, a more compact design for the weight, and figured the deeper lube groove wasn't necessary for a pistol that may not be shot 6 times.

I've spent hours at the range shooting RB's with no wad/lube with no terrible build-up using both 3F Olde E and T7. So I figure a little lube would be nice.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »

They don't need to expand like pop gun bullets do.  They will tear a large over caliber sized wound channel all the way through game leaving two gaping holes to help put it down rapidly.  If the round strikes a hard enough bone, it just might expand but it doesn't need to.  This is of course with the larger (heavier) rounds, not sure about these lightweight ones you've designed.

They all look interesting and I'm waiting for your accuracy tests.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »

Why wanting expansion is twofold. A larger hole is certainly preferable, but so is limited penetration. I want it to stop near or just after the opposite side. I don't want to be concerned for my neighbors or their property if I can help it. But if I've had to use it in the first place I'd like for it to be as quick as possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up