Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Design A .36 Cal Bullet  (Read 4711 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Design A .36 Cal Bullet
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:42:14 AM »

I am wanting an Uberti '62 Police. I understand it to have a max load of about 25 grns of 3F. Were you to design a FN bullet for it would you make the OAL the same as a RB (.380") that might weigh ~125 grns or would you make it shorter (~.350") so as to have a slightly higher max load and a bullet that weighs ~100 grns?

With sporting grade powder this ought to perform similarly to a 38 S&W/380 ACP/38 Spl.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Design A .36 Cal Bullet
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »

Why not make a flat slug .350 long and .380 diameter - maybe with a base tapering to .370 to make loading easier? That way you would get maximum weight for minimum length. I assume your looking for a self defense loading so maximum weight and powder available in the small package?

I think the round nose, fancy shapes, and all the rest aren't necessary in an application like this. Accuracy should be good at the distances you would be using it at, who needs 1" groups at 25 yards for a self defense pistol

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:05:18 AM by Jaxenro »
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »

Ah, now I see what you meant.

I'd be somewhat concerned with it hitting the forcing cone. I like the idea of a little taper up front.

And yes, it would potentially be used for self defense.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »

Since mass equals better penetration it seems to make sense to go for a bullet the length of a RB, but with the small powder capacity of a '62 having some more go go juice makes some sense.

I had also thought about the Kaido bullet you like, but at 140 grns it seems it would be rather large for such an application. It makes me think of the big slow bullet from a 38 S&W. I'm wanting 1000 fps or more as I figure it'll help it expand a little bit too.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »

Only my twisted sense of logic, but I'd think the bullet would make a better, easier transition into the riflings were it slightly tapered. I know wadcutters are used often in target revolvers, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »

As long as the forcing cone is tapered properly I don't think it matters

You could always use this one with a flat base

http://percussionrevolvers.com/index.php?topic=943.0
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:12:20 PM »

I just really prefer a wide flat nose and a flat base. As was mentioned on another board, with little use there's not much need for a lube groove so I'm reconsidering that, but it still seems a good idea to have it anyway. I doubt it would add more than 2 grains to nix it, and it would be there for range days when you are shooting a lot.

I still can't help but look at that pocket Remington though! If it could be made to produce a minimum of what a 32 ACP can I'd possibly be on it instead. Funny as I never seriously entertained the thought that a .32 ACP was a legitimate defense caliber. To me that was a .380 ACP as bare min.

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 04:55:54 AM »

You could design your bullet as a copy of the standard .38 Wadcutter.

They seem to make it thru the forcing cone of .38 revolvers pretty well.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »

What I'd likely do is shrink this down to .380" and modify it a little such as increase the length of the seating base.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-170C-D.png

This bullet in my pistol looks very much like a wadcutter with that .375" meplat.

Kaido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 03:03:37 AM »

Hi Guys Happy New Year 2015!

I do have Two Cavity Alum Molds in my Universal Bullets in 36 Caliber as well. The Bullets in 36 Caliber are .377 of an inch at the widest, they are 140 grains and the same Round Flat Nose Design as my bigger 44/45 caliber Universal Bullets are. The 36 Caliber VKV SMG (Small Medium Game) are truly Universal, in addition to Percussion Revolvers, they have been successfully tested in 357 Magnum Revolvers with good results. Molds Are $59.00 ea. Shipping is usually $10.00 to $13.00 in the USA. Those interested in obtaining any Kaido Universal Molds can contact me at kaido93@hotmail.com

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »

The .36 cal pistols I have in mind are the Uberti Colt Police and Pietta Spiller & Burr. Both having a reduced chamber capacity your bullet would take up too much room. And for hunting medium game I'd use either my .44 or .45 cal pistols.

I wanted a bullet that took up no more room than a ball, and had Accurate some up with this:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-100B-D.png
Pages: [1]   Go Up