Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caps and Cones  (Read 2908 times)

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
Caps and Cones
« on: January 05, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »

On another forum, folks are wanting to "seal" the caps on the cones with glue or nail polish or some other such goop.  I have always relied on the proper fit of cap to cone to provide a good seal and retain the cap.

When I was shooting a lot, I would buy a sleeve of caps and make sure the cones I had would accept the caps.  If I had to modify the cones or replace them, I did.  I would also polish the cones so they were mirrorlike.  I felt this allowed the cap to grab and fit better.  Perhaps, I have been doing it wrong.

Anyone on this forum prefer a mechanical fit to a glued on fit?
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Caps and Cones
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »

I always use mechanical fit for shooting. I think the thinking there was if you were going to leave the gun loaded for several years then to seal it
NRA Life Member

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »

The more crap you add to something the better chance of failure.  A mechanical fit is pure, simple and lasting.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:37:38 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

I loaded one of my .44s early last year and carried it near everywhere, every day, rain or shine since.  Over the weekend it went bang every time and the caps were just pushed on.

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »

Some shooters buy the Tresco Revolver Nipples from The Possible Shop (you can Google their website) and install them on their percussion revolvers.

Unlike the Italian nipples that come on the guns from the factory, the Tresco Nipples are machined to provide a "perfect fit" with the Remington #10 Percussion Caps.

As for "Glued On Percussion Caps,"  I AM NOT CLEAR ABOUT THE RULES - IF you got in a gunfight, after you fired 6 rounds wouldn't you have to call a "Time Out" so you could use a knife blade to scrape off what was left of the caps on the nipples before beginning to reload???

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »

Some shooters buy the Tresco Revolver Nipples from The Possible Shop (you can Google their website) and install them on their percussion revolvers.

Unlike the Italian nipples that come on the guns from the factory, the Tresco Nipples are machined to provide a "perfect fit" with the Remington #10 Percussion Caps.

As for "Glued On Percussion Caps,"  I AM NOT CLEAR ABOUT THE RULES - IF you got in a gunfight, after you fired 6 rounds wouldn't you have to call a "Time Out" so you could use a knife blade to scrape off what was left of the caps on the nipples before beginning to reload???

Draw your second or third pistol... All good GUN-FLANGERS carried two or three pistols...

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up