Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Poll

Do you own Original or Reproduction Revolvers?

Original
Colt 2nd or 3rd Generation
Reproductions
Original or 2nd/3rd and Reproductions
None

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Original or Reproduction?  (Read 10283 times)

Blind Pugh

• View Profile
Re: Original or Reproduction?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »

Hi All

Here are the last 3 pistols I bought including number 15!

No 13.  Repro Colt Wells Fargo, I think it's an ASM but not sure.

No 14.  Pedersoli Mortimer in .44 smooth.  A medal winning gun but so far I can't hit a barn door ( from inside) with it!  It needs some fine tuning??

No 15.  Colt Signature Series Navy 36.  A really lovely gun, but well used.  Waiting for a new cylinder wedge before I get to shoot it.  There is at least a 20 thou gap between the barrel and the cylinder face.  Also a number of badly damaged screws.

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 04:33:17 AM »

Hi All ... Here are the last 3 pistols I bought including number 15! Waiting for a new cylinder wedge before I get to shoot it.  There is at least a 20 thou gap between the barrel and the cylinder face.  Also a number of badly damaged screws...

The wedge should not be used to adjust the gap.  You need to correct the arbor length to adjust the gap properly.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Blind Pugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »

Thanks Strawhat, I was just going by the shape/condition of the original wedge, it's so worn along the edges that it looks like an hour-glass.
I borrowed a wedge from a fellow shooter (1851 Navy) on the range at the week-end just to try and it did make a whole lot of difference.  I will see what the new one looks like and report back, hopefully with a few photos.

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »

This is my own personal feeling. I don't consider the so-called Colt signature series to be third generation Colt firearms. To me they're just gussied-up reproductions.

They weren't made by Colt Patent firearms Company, but rather, they were made by the Colt Black Powder firearms Company, an entirely different company. Colt Black Powder Firearms Company merely rented the Colt name, only.

Colt won't letter the signature series, therefore they aren't Colts, regardless of what the Barrels say.

What do you others fellows think about this?

Bill

mike116

• View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »

I do think Signature Series guns are a little higher quality but you are correct about their pedigree.   They are not genuine Colt weapons.  They were mostly made in Italy just as most recent reproductions are, and Colt does not claim them as their own.   The prices the Signature Series revolvers bring are inflated due to the Colt markings and the belief that they were actual Colt guns.

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »

This is my own personal feeling. I don't consider the so-called Colt signature series to be third generation Colt firearms. To me they're just gussied-up reproductions.

They weren't made by Colt Patent firearms Company, but rather, they were made by the Colt Black Powder firearms Company, an entirely different company. Colt Black Powder Firearms Company merely rented the Colt name, only.

Colt won't letter the signature series, therefore they aren't Colts, regardless of what the Barrels say.

What do you others fellows think about this?

Bill

+1  Colt licensed the name to the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company to make the Signature Series guns.  The process of manufacture was similar to the 2nd Gens, in that unfinished parts were obtained from Italian and US companies that were used to assemble and finish them. 

They aren't Colt's.

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »

+1  Colt licensed the name to the Colt Blackpowder Arms Company to make the Signature Series guns.  The process of manufacture was similar to the 2nd Gens, in that unfinished parts were obtained from Italian and US companies that were used to assemble and finish them. 

They aren't Colt's.

A lot of low information pistol buyers will be disappointed in learning that...

Bill

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »

A lot of low information pistol buyers will be disappointed in learning that...

Bill

Oh well.   :(

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »

Golfswithwolves

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »

I have both 2nd generation and Signature Series revolvers; I can't really see any difference in quality. I think of the Sig series as Colts too (I shoot them all).
Quid me anxias sum

Vulcan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 02:38:12 AM »

I have 3 originals, 1 reproduction and 1 "new" Ruger old army.
Roger & Spencer made 1863, Bacon second model pocket made 1863, Colt 1949 pocket made 1856, 4" barrel.
Uberti 1862 pocket police 4" barrel.

sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »

Can't afford original Colts/Remingtons/et al.

I am a profound noob to the BP C&B scene. Nearly 30 years ago I bought my father a Dixie kit 1862 Police for a Christmas present and he just loved it. I was into everything other than that at the time.

Flash forward to Christmas 2014. Cabela's has a sale on Pietta 1851 Navy steel .36 pistols for $199 and $5 shipping and I have that much in gift cards. Done deal. I'm 63 and have bad eyes, but I have a love for guns and history. My wife has a bad time seeing cartridge guns lying around, but since I don't have any caps, balls, or powder in the house, my newly found hobby with BP C&B revolvers presents no problem to her. Hooray!

I want to acquire a replica Colt Dragoon 2nd model squareback with rectangular stop slots someday to complete my collection of squarebacks, unless I find a Walker replica somewhere, or a Whitneyville Walker replica at a good price to add to the collection.

1963 Replica Arms El Paso Texas 1848 Pocket Revolver 5-shot 5 3/4" (nominal 6") barrel w/load lever and V-groove, long frame and extended forcing cone. 

2014 Pietta 1851 Navy steel .36 revolver. I have since trimmed the bolt so it does not drag on the cylinder and it locks up tight. Nice wood to replace the original bought on Ebay from a guy who buys guns on sale and strips them for parts.

What to do with the original plain walnut grip? Entertain a fantasy. I like Clint Eastwood westerns, especially The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. Someday I'll inlet the snakes.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:23:15 PM by sourdough »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up