Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1860 Army  (Read 6273 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Army
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 04:26:09 AM »

TRESO nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in muzzleloading barrels.  This material provides more resistance to repeated blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation.  This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple. All nipples have a small base hole (.028) to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases.  Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against the powder chamber. Use #11 caps. AMPCO Nipple shoulder size: Rifle Nipples .214" - Cap & Ball Nipples .174" - Muskets Nipples .250".

http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 10:33:12 AM »

Blomquist is another highly recommended nipple maker. I don't know much about him other than he also makes the Ruger hex head style of nipple. I intend on contacting him if/when I get an 1858.

I'm having internet problems and cannot get into the nipple section at ToTW.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

flahipneck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 08:32:27 AM »

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:46 PM »

Well, I haven't bought new nipples for her yet, but I did polish some internal parts. The function of the piece was very rough at first. It's a LOT smoother now.

She shoots about 12"-16" high at about 20 yards. Once I figured that out, I could hold a pretty decent group with the ol' gal. I'm VERY reluctant to file the hammer notch. I don't know why. It's not like I'm unaware of the necessity to take a tool to her if I want her to shoot point of aim.

I recently found a YouTube video by someone recognized as an expert in the field. He mentioned a nipple that is designed to keep the cap on the nipple and out of the mechanics which locks these babies up tight. I'm going to compare it to the others mentioned here and make my decision.

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »

Well, I haven't bought new nipples for her yet, but I did polish some internal parts. The function of the piece was very rough at first. It's a LOT smoother now.

She shoots about 12"-16" high at about 20 yards. Once I figured that out, I could hold a pretty decent group with the ol' gal. I'm VERY reluctant to file the hammer notch. I don't know why. It's not like I'm unaware of the necessity to take a tool to her if I want her to shoot point of aim.

I recently found a YouTube video by someone recognized as an expert in the field. He mentioned a nipple that is designed to keep the cap on the nipple and out of the mechanics which locks these babies up tight. I'm going to compare it to the others mentioned here and make my decision.

Which video did you watch? Was it by Duelist1954?

Bill

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22:21 PM »

Yes. That's right. Mike Beliveau I think.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up