Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement barrel  (Read 5158 times)

the_law_man01

• View Profile
Replacement barrel
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »

I've found replacement barrels for my Pietta 1858 New Army and am considering doing the replacement myself. It doesn't appear to be a difficult job. Spacing would be the main issue. I would also plan to mechanically center the rear sight and adjust the barrel turn to "0" the revolver before adjusting the sight. I know turning the barrel is how "fixed rear sight" revolvers are sighted. I just want to make it as accurate as possible. I'm leaning toward the direct 8" barrel replacement buy may condiser a 12".

What are your thoughts?

Have you tried a barrel replacement before?

Thanks,

Joe

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement barrel
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »

Where did you find replacements(always looking for parts links)? Why are you thinking of replacing it?

I almost always shoot Colt style now so barel replacement is completely different.
NRA Life Member

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »

Just be careful not to twist the frame.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »

Where did you find replacements(always looking for parts links)? Why are you thinking of replacing it?

I almost always shoot Colt style now so barel replacement is completely different.

To try to answer both of your questions:

I found complete parts lists showing all parts available at this website:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/parts/pietta-parts/1858-remington-brass-steel-target-buffalo.html

I bought the pistol from a guy who wasn't really in to BP. The cylinder looks good, the frame (other than one good scratch) looks good as well as the outside of the barrel. However, the inside of the barrel shows signs of MINOR surface rust at the edges of the rifling groves at the base of the lands. There's no pitting but I assume it would affect accuracy. Also, there is a notch in the cylinder pin so I'll be replacing that.

I'll include an 08/2013 review I found on the page for the 1858 Remmy:

My little brother recently brought me his 1858 for me to restore. It was in horrible shape and needed to be reblued and cleaned. It had rust and pits everywhere. He had also broke the cylinder pin and asked if I could find him one. I usually only use 2 different places for parts but neither of them carried the cylinder pin for this pistol. So, my search began. I'm usually very skeptical and weary of websites that I've never ordered from before. Your store had the best price, best shipping charge and actually had the part in stock. I'm sad to say that I wasn't expecting much and it did take about a week and a half to get the part due to it just arriving in on a shipment. However, when I got home from work tonight and seen the package at my steps and opened it up, I was extremely surprised. The quality of the part is exceptional and the finish is great! I will most definitely be ordering from your store again. My brother does a lot of civil war re-enactments so I will tell him to let all his friends know about your store and how great of a value they will receive with you. Thank you for a great part and for making your website so easy to use. I look forward to doing more business with you in the future. (Posted on 8/30/13)

Hopefully this may help someone else!

Joe

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »

From what yours sounds like I'd try a good cleaning and oiling first and the accuracy might surprise you
NRA Life Member

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »

A .38 bore brush wraped in fine scotchbrite and some rust remover will work wonders. I had a mauser that had  a bore that looked like a sewer pipe. A little scotchbrite treatment, it looked like an unissued barrel.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »

I've cleaned the heck out of the thing numerous times since I've had it and run an "oil patch" through the barrel for storage and know change.

I'm going to try the Scotchbrite suggestion. I bet that would work great. I'm going to figure out the most accurate load (a.k.a. shoot a lot) this weekend. I'll do so before and after the scotchbrite and see what happens with the grouping. I wish i had a chrono to see how much the little bit of rust affects velocity. It has to. It causes friction even if a minimal amount.

Thanks,
Joe

BGRooster1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

Seems I read that Pietta changed the barrel threads at sometime and therefore you will have to make sure the barrel you get is compatible. Wish I could remember the year of change or where I read about it.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »

Well, I'm going to be nixing the barrel change. This Pietta shoots good enough as is for good plinking fun if nothing else. If it doesn't work out for hunting, I'll probably go ahead and buy a stainless with a 12" barrel if I can find one.

Anywho, that's what I've determined.

I'm going to be doing the scotchbrite fix this weekend. I'll keep you informed on what happens.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 06:12:52 AM »

There is a 12" stainless with spare cylinder in the for sale section
NRA Life Member

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »

There is a 12" stainless with spare cylinder in the for sale section

I made contact with the fella. He was in process of making a deal with someone. It must have worked out for him cause he never called me back.

Thanks for the tip!

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:10:46 PM »

I know of another one for sale if you want one
NRA Life Member

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »

I know of another one for sale if you want one

Really? You're gonna dangle a worm like that and just leave me hanging?!  :)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:47 AM »

I dropped him a note if he still wants to sell I will hook you two up
NRA Life Member

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:25 AM »

I dropped him a note if he still wants to sell I will hook you two up

Ok. I just found a local Uberti that I just started talking to a guy on. Nothing set yet. He's not 100% he wants to sell yet. So, it's anybody's ball game at this point.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up