Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New to percussion revolvers thinking about hunting with it  (Read 11889 times)

the_law_man01

• View Profile
Re: New to percussion revolvers thinking about hunting with it
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »

Roundballs have killed a lot of animals (and other things).  They're just terrible in the long range department.

Depending on what you call long range, I may have to disagree.

My little brother has killed deer anywhere from point blank to 100 yards with .50 cap&ball. However, he is shooting a rifle when making these shots.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »

Long range, to me, starts at 300 yards. Historically, shots out to 800 yards have been made with round balls, and "chunk gunners" shoot them out to 1000, but they use calibers of .69 to .80. The bigger the ball, the higher its BC.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:41:58 PM by long hunter »

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

I see. Anything past 150yrds with a ball would be an amazing shot in my opinion. I'm sure there are folks out there who can do it.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 07:24:49 PM »

300 yard shots can be made on man size targets with a roundball. It's just that they lose too much energy to make a clean kill at that range, unless you're talking about very large ones.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »

300 yard shots can be made on man size targets with a roundball. It's just that they lose too much energy to make a clean kill at that range, unless you're talking about very large ones.

So then, you're probably talking like a .54 or .58?

That's a big ol' hole when it does go through somehting!

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »

Yes, at least.

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »

I hunt with my 1860 Army practically all year long.  During the summer its ground hog and coyote and in the fall its small game and coyote. I have yet to get a coyote with my revolver but I've got plenty of time.  :)

For Deer hunting I go to the R&D cylinder with either the 45 Long Colt or 45 Schofield cartridges. Its cheating I know but between the black powder and the R&D cylinder I use that  revolver more than any other firearm I own. I just hope it holds up.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »

Why do you switch from percussion when hunting deer?

Here's Mike Beliveau's video using standard Goex through his 1860 Army.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmYRePzoOQ

Note that even with a low velocity using 30 grns it still penetrated very well. Note that he got 900 fps and 432 ft/lbs with a heavy load (MAAAAAXXXXX). A more energetic powder such as Goex Olde Eynsford, Swiss, or Triple 7 would easily outpace that.

When Mike Beliveau tested a ROA with standard Goex and Triple 7 with more of Kaido's bullets we see, even with a reduced powder charge of 25 grns of T7 he was close to 500 ft/lbs of energy with a 255 grn bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_dwo2nThA

That would by far outpace any .45 Colt/.45 Schofield cowboy load.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:11 AM »

Mostly the bullet weight as a 45Long Colt and 45 Schofield are at around 200 grain bullets or heavier where a 451 or 454 round ball weighs out at 140 to 150 or so. But, with those results, I just may rethink that change to the R&D cylinder.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »

Kaido sells the molds for his bullets for something like $85 for a 6 cavity aluminum Lee mold.

I went with a custom design from Accurate Molds to drop a 195 grn wide FN that's only .460" long so as not to take up powder capacity. I also have a 285 grn wide FN for things that may want to bite or gore you. I'm considering a bullet that weighs 240-255 grns with a wide FN for my Pietta, but that's far in the future if I do, especially since my Ruger is my hunting sidearm.

Kaido's 240 grn FN is .615" long.

There's a fellow who uses a Walker loaded with 2F Triple 7 and a ball for hunting hogs with. He says the wound is much nastier than Kaido's bullets produce within 25 yds (he hunts with Kaido). And I've read of others who get complete passthroughs with a ball on deer.

Mike Beliveau got 1062 fps and 371 ft/lbs with a ball and only 33 grns of 3F Triple 7 in a ROA.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:56 PM »

Good information Rodwha!!!! 
But the Walker has a lot more chamber capacity then an 1860 Army and if I were to use a conical itís taking away even more of my chamber capacity. But I'm trying to visualize the amount of room a 460 length conical would take up as opposed to a .454 round ball and the amount of powder I would lose in the chamber.   Interesting information to consider.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »

Some fellas use RB's in their Colt '60's, Remington '58's, and ROA's. Likely most use a more energetic powder though, but I've read of several accounts of passthroughs to doubt it.

A .454 ball being that long will still likely be able to handle slightly more powder than a flat based .454" long bullet as the bottom is rounded, but I doubt it's more than 2 grns.

Another thing to consider is the fact that having more bearing surface on the cylinder walls (friction) generates more pressure, which in turn creates higher velocities. The 240 grn Kaido bullet generated a higher velocity than the 225 grn Lee conical using the same 30 grn charge of 3F standard Goex by Mike Beliveau.

When I designed these bullets a large surface area was a part of the plan so as to increase the pressures/velocity.

Regardless of powder capacity, a heavier bullet penetrates deeper than a lighter one. Look at the test results of 1 gal water jug penetration by each projectile on the Ruger tests, but also on the Colt tests where the charge was the same.

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:29 AM »

I sure like the weight of those conicals ranging around 200 grains.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »

It began at 180 grns, but I had a few changes including widening the meplat and lengthing the top driving band, which then made it 195 grns.

The 170C used to weigh 160 grns until I did similar modifications.

I'm really anxious to see how they shoot. But first I need to know how well my Pietta Remington '58 shoots RB's so I can compare.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »

Wow! It's been so long since I've been on here that I've got a new baby! The father-in-law gave me a stainless ROA in a hand made (by him) wooden case for Christmas! And, she shoots amazing!

Joe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up