Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New to percussion revolvers thinking about hunting with it  (Read 11318 times)

the_law_man01

• View Profile
New to percussion revolvers thinking about hunting with it
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and to percussion revolvers. I've been shooting mine quite a bit just to get used to the gun, a Pietta 1858 New Army steel frame target model with 8" barrel. I've shot a load as heavy as 28grs of 3F T7 under a round ball. I've only gone this heavy once just testing things out. The handgun seemingly handled it ok. Had some pretty good kick. The full cylinder grouped at about 8-9". I think a lot of this spread was my quickly firing off the shots and a little bit of flinching just in case it exploded  :-[ . This was from 15 yrd.

This week I'm going to back off to 15grs of 3F T7 and increase by 1gr increments until I find the best grouping max load and then will increase from there to see how hot I can load before groups open to an unacceptable pattern (3"+ at 25 yrd). This will all be done at a shooting table with a rest.

I guess what I'm looking for is suggestions from folks using 3F T7 in with round balls for hunting. What loads are working best for your gun?

Next year I'll be trying out conicals or other bullets, but, on short notice, this is what I have.

Oh yeah, this thing will single hole a full cylinder from 15 yrds loaded with 15grs of FFF black powder (can't remember brand at the moment) so I know it's capable of being accurate.

Thanks,

Joe

long hunter

• View Profile
Re: New to percussion revolvers thinking about hunting with it
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »

You won't blow the gun up with 28 grains. Your accuracy load is probably going to be between 20 and 25 grains, due to the barrel twist in these guns. I strongly advise against hunting anything bigger than a coyote with a roundball.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »

There's a fellow who hunts hogs with a Walker loaded with 2F T7 and a ball. His friends all use a Kaido bullet (240-255 grns), but he prefers the wound the ball gives within 25 yds.

For hunting with a percussion revolver I'd suggest a fairly heavy load using Swiss, Olde Eynsford, or Triple 7, especially when using a ball. Supposedly a repro needs a 15% reduction from max as it's more energetic, but when you actually read Hodgdon's warnings it states the reduction is to achieve BP results. I've asked them, but they've never responded to my emails. It's likely wise to adhere to the reduction, even if it's only a 10% reduction. Watch the recoil shield for the imprint of the back of your cylinder if you choose not to.

Here's the first of 6 videos of a guy testing Goex and T7 with RB's, Lee conicals, and Kaido's bullet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNYGs2_UZw

If I can get my groups to a more respectable size I'll give the ball a try, but I have bullets to use if the game becomes hogs. If a ball expands quite large and quickly due to speed, and a heavy bullet can easily penetrate from nose to tail, I wonder if a lighter bullet would be the ideal projectile as I'd prefer a nasty wound over a caliber sized hole as long as it can penetrate well enough.

I know of a guy who sells cast projectiles at a reasonable price if you are interested.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:18:30 PM by rodwha »
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:40:40 AM »

I've just always had horrible accuracy with anything more than 25 grains under a round ball.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:14:43 AM »

I'm not that great of a shot, but don't notice much difference in anything I've shot, which has been Pyrodex P/RS, 3F Triple 7 and Olde Eynsford with RB's, 180, 190, 200, and 240 grn bullets and conicals. This is through a Ruger Old Army.

But I've been mostly just punching holes in paper becoming acquainted with this pistol and trying new things. After so many holes it becomes hard to keep track. The times I have my groups are generally under 4" at 15 yds offhand.

I've been meaning to work from a rest and see how well I can do. I've also been considering using a yucca stick with a groove for the barrel to see how it would work as a shooting stick.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 11:07:01 PM »

I've also been considering using a yucca stick with a groove for the barrel to see how it would work as a shooting stick.

HAHAHAAAA!!!

Clearly you come from near my neck of the woods...SW Ks.

Joe

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:58 PM »

I know of a guy who sells cast projectiles at a reasonable price if you are interested.

What kind of projectiles are we talking about here?

I've been wondering what type of bullets, conicals, etc I can shoot out of this thing. I'm guessing anything I can load in it, but I'm really wondering what everyone else is using for hunting and what success they've had.

Joe

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »

I've been shooting 200 grain SWCs from my 1860 army. I run them through a sizer to make them easier to load.  It helps to chamfer the chamber mouths (helps with RBs too). They shoot well over 28 grains of pyrodex (that's all I can fit in the chamber). They mushroom a bit and penetrate well. I'm going to experiment with a drilling fixture to make hollow points. You should be able to get more in a remington cylinder, although 15 or 20 grains of tripple 7 would be just fine.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:51:33 AM »

I'm in central/south Texas.

As for cast projectiles for a .44 cal pistol he has RB's, 200 grn Lee conicals, and a custom 195 grn SWC, which works in my Ruger Old Army. But I know he casts for various popular calibers. His prices are almost 1/2 of retail + shipping.

I've yet to use mine for hunting.  My requirement was 4" @ 25 yds or better, but I've come closer to 6" plus a flier that will open it up further. Every once in a while I get a good enough group, but not often enough to make me comfortable. This is offhand. I want to see how I'd do from a rest (blind). For now it'll just have to ride along on my side incase I wound a hog. I could probably knock off 1/2" if I'd just go get some glasses.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:55:26 AM by rodwha »

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Not sure if anyone is interested, but the fellow that I know who casts and sells at a reasonable fee can be emailed at:

ccmountainman@gmail.com

For these .44 cal pistols he casts .454" RB's, 200 grn Lee conicals, and his 195 grn SWC's that will work in a Ruger as well as the repros.

He also casts for a few other calibers as well. He's also trying to start a muzzleloading supply store.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 09:05:42 PM »

Thanks for the email address. I may get some of his conicals, SWCs, and some of the Kaido bullets to try out.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »

I've used Kaido's 240 grn version through my Ruger, and I really like them. But at $50/100 + shipping I've only bought 100. It's what pushed me into buying casting gear!!!

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »

Dang! That's high!

Well, after reading a letter that (allegedly) Kaido Ojaama himself wrote (believe I found it either here or on THR), I've decided to go with another bullet suggested by rodwha.

Kaido admits that his bullet, while it may work in other repros, is geared toward use in the ROAs.

The fella rodwha suggested casts his bullets with shooting from the replicas in mind. And, at half the price, I'm happy to try them first!

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 03:21:16 AM »

Midi has two different 44 bullets one for ROA's and one for Remington's and other 44's
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 07:24:24 AM »

Kaido makes a 240 grn FN that's designed for repros. I've used it in my ROA, but I've noticed bullet creep at times. He claims it's a .456" bullet, which is why I chose it. His 255 grn bullet was made for the ROA and is .460" and why I chose not to buy it as I figured it may be stressful on my loading lever (I bent it on my first range trip).

I am working with Tom at Accurate Molds to make a few .45 caliber bullets that will hopefully work in both the ROA and repros, though I'm not certain if their larger diameter (~.456") will be a bit too much for the repro's chambers, which I seem to read often being .446-.448" or so.

So far he has designed a 180 grn FN. It's 45-180S:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-180S-D.png

I wanted a light weight (150-160 grn) FN that was no longer than a RB and it came out to be 180 grns. I'm also having him work on  a heavier bullet for hunting, as well as a light weight FN for the .36 cal (90-100 grns), though it may turn out a bit heavier as well.

The idea behind the light weight FN being that it wouldn't take up any more powder capacity than a RB, but having more bearing surface ought to increase pressure/velocity, and hopefully expand more readily.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up