Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I have a 12 inch 1858 stainless with a stainless cyclinder  (Read 2670 times)

davidb4570@yahoo.com

• View Profile
I have a 12 inch 1858 stainless with a stainless cyclinder
« on: August 21, 2013, 06:22:38 AM »

I would like to sell my stainless 1858 pietta .44 (454) 12 inch,ajustable rear site It comes a xtra cylinder also stainless.Looks REAL GOOD.I live in Florida call me at 386-307-4801 or email davidb4570@yahoo.com Thank You.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:49:27 AM by Jaxenro »

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I have a 12 inch 1858 stainless with a stainless cyclinder
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:51:32 AM »

have any pictures? how much do you want? I personally am not much for remmies but was thinking of getting a hunting rifle and this might just do the trick instead. loaded with Kaido's bullets and triple 7 and maybe having the chambers deepened do you think it would be good for deer at closer ranges?
NRA Life Member

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »

have any pictures? how much do you want? I personally am not much for remmies but was thinking of getting a hunting rifle and this might just do the trick instead. loaded with Kaido's bullets and triple 7 and maybe having the chambers deepened do you think it would be good for deer at closer ranges?

Good for deer hunting? The quick answer would be, it depends...

It depends on how much experience you have hunting. do you know how to stalk an animal well?

It depends on the country you are hunting in. How much cover there is. Is the cover thick enough to let you get in close?

With this firearm, you would be hunting with something that has the relative power of a .38 special. Do you know where to place a bullet with that limited power?

From this firearm, a properly placed bullet, from close range, would certainly take one of the smaller deer species, such as a White Tail. The bullet/ball would have to placed well so that you didn't have to spend the rest of the day and the next, tracking a wounded animal.

If it were me hunting deer with this firearm, I would wait until the deer positioned it'self, so that I could make a good head shot from close range. The best bullet/ball placement in this situation, would be at the butt of the ear. If you hit it there, the deer won't go any place, it will fold in it's tracks.

I have actually taken deer, White Tail, with a .38 special. I never used the classic heart lung shot because of my doubts about the penetration of the Keith style .38 bullet I was using. Therefore, I stalked in close, waited for the right moment and then took my shot.

It's needless to say that I would slip up on an animal, many times, and the animal would detect me and take off.

One thing I can tell you about stalking a deer, is that just before they raise their head, from eating, they will flicker their tail. Thats when you do not want to make any movement.

Bill

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »

With a roundball, they have the muzzle energy of a .38 special. With the 240grain hunting bullets, it's a lot more powerful.  That gun would be more powerful still. The longer barrel will give a significant increase in velocity. However, all that is,irrelevant. Muzzle energy is not indicative of lethality. Bullet diameter, weight, profile, and expansion are critical. None of those things can make up for poor shot placement.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:36:42 AM »

With a 240 grain hunting bullet, triple 7 powder, and deepened cylinders it moves to a whole other level

I went another direction (not necessarily for hunting though) and am havng a 36 caliber Walker made.
NRA Life Member

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »

How does one accomplish such a thing? Is the gun being built on an existing frame? Is it being built from scratch? What kind of loads are we talking?

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 04:20:38 AM »

If your talking about the Walker we are sleeving the chambers (only halfway in effect creating a bottlenecked chamber) and sleeving the barrel to 375

Aso to how much powder it will hold I don't know yet but I am thinking in excess of 50 grains of triple 7 pushing a hard cast Kaido flat nose 140 grain bullet

Don't know what the accuracy or velocity will be but I think we will be far in excess of the 1851 if the longer barrel and chambers allow use of the triple 7 efficiently
NRA Life Member

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »

When you start bottlenecking, the rules change. Be careful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up