Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Cartridges  (Read 14263 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Paper Cartridges
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »

36 caliber 140 grain flat nose I am making them for either a 1851 Navy clone or an 1862 pocket clone hence the light loading I want to be able to shoot them in either one
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »

I've been curious about the .36 cal Kaido bullets and how well they'd work. What kinda testing will you be doing?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »

For now just shooting don't have a chrongraph. I shoot into a sawed offsection of a tree and they don't go through but the hole from the bullets beats a round ball hands down that's why I say they hit hard. I am working on accuracy and loads and things like paper cartridges and my custom "tipped" bullets (I take a Kaido bullet, drill a hole in it, set in some powder and a percussion cap so the cap is below the nose and seal it with nail polish but I am not recommending anyone try this)
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »

I wonder if those bullets are going fast enough to expand in flesh.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

From what I understand they stay solid and don't expand but they penetrate really well

my percussion capped ones expand when they hit - or explode might be a better term
NRA Life Member

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »

From what I understand they stay solid and don't expand but they penetrate really well

my percussion capped ones expand when they hit - or explode might be a better term

Jax,

I would like to see some video of your "tipped" bullets! That sounds awesome!

TLM

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »

I have been wanting to try paper cartridges with concails  but have a hard time loading concials in my Remington and colt

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 12:47:44 PM »

Is the problem due to the length of the bullet or the diameter of it?

If it's a Pietta, which seem to come with a small window for loading conicals, it can be opened up a bit with a Dremmel tool.

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »

Try the Ladie's Hair Curling Papers. A lot of Skirmishers use them to make paper cartridges for percussion Sharps Rifles and Carbines-so for pistol loads, they need to be cut down some.

The trouble with cigarette papers is that they have a lot of Federal Tobacco Taxes built into them while the curling papers are almost "tax free."

I have used Elmer's Stick Glue to glue a curling paper to a Sharps bullet and let the glue dry 24 hours. After that, I could literally pick up the empty paper cartridge [I never loaded the powder] and could grab the end and literally swing the paper around and the glued bullet would remain attached to the paper cartridge!

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:27 PM »

For now just shooting don't have a chrongraph. I shoot into a sawed offsection of a tree and they don't go through but the hole from the bullets beats a round ball hands down that's why I say they hit hard. I am working on accuracy and loads and things like paper cartridges and my custom "tipped" bullets (I take a Kaido bullet, drill a hole in it, set in some powder and a percussion cap so the cap is below the nose and seal it with nail polish but I am not recommending anyone try this)

I just had a brite thought. How in the heck do you load these things?!

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »

Very carefully  ;D

I sink the cap just below the nose of the bullet
NRA Life Member

mikegray0422

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »

I know this is an old thread but I just rediscovered the forum again after a couple of years so I'm playing catch up.

I make my own nitrated paper using Spectracide Stump Remover (It's mostly Potassium Nitrate) and that tissue paper that my wife uses to stuff into the top of gift bags.  Just boil a cup of water and dissolve as much stump remover in it as possible.  Cut the tissue paper into 2" wide strips and drag them through the solution.  Lay them out flat to dry overnight.
They're fairly strong, burn quickly, leave almost no ash and it only costs a few dollars for hundreds of cartridges.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up