Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Cartridges  (Read 13646 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: Paper Cartridges
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »

Anyone else trying paper cartridges?

Anyone tried nitrating their paper to make it burn better?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 12:53:26 PM »

I am going to again I am really intrigued with the idea of using wax paper to make water resistant cartridges.

Wax paper seems to burn really well and leave minimal residue it is the initial ignition I am concerned about but I have some ideas for that.

I was also thinking of using melted parafin wax as the "glue" to hold it together and using the form I used to use for the cigarette paper ones so that there is only one layer of paper at the bottom where it ignites. Then maybe just run a nipple pick down the flash hole before capping and I am good to go.
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 05:28:19 PM »

With mine twisted at the end where the nipple is the caps have all set it off immediately. I don't notice any delay. It may not be necessary to prick them.

Another has mentioned making powder capsules with no projectile attached. I'm going to try these next.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »

Making them with only powder works well, but has limited me to about 25 grns of powder, which is OK.

I've recently found the proper stump killer and applied some to cartridges made. I'm not sure how it will effect the powders (I've used Olde E, T7, and Pyrodex), though I've heard BP dries out with no ill effects. I suppose I'll find out.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 07:53:26 AM »

It didn't appear to have effected any of the powders (Olde E/T7), and worked quite well with most of them (maybe 90% of them). Thy got roughed up along the way as my nephew who was driving didn't realize the turn light was red, which sent everything flying. Maybe it knocked off some of the nitrating...

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »

You guys have me thinkin now. Waterproof cartridges. Hmmmm. I once saw someone making solid rocket fuel out of KNO3 and paraffin wax.  What if one was to melt some paraffin wax and dissolve some KNO3 in it? One could then dip his nitrated paper (paper still needs to be nitrated) in this mixture or paint it on thin. The wax could seal the cartridge, eliminating the need for glue. It might be better to use beeswax. Just bouncing an idea around.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »

Hmmmm... Now you have me thinkin'!

What do you think the residue would be like? I suppose it may not be quite the issue as in a situation where these would be wanted there wouldn't likely be a lot of shooting, and most likely it would be cleaned before reloaded.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

There shouldn't be residue from the wax. Paraffin burns fairly well once it's liquified. I use it to flux my lead.  You really need to make your cartridges so that they rupture when you ram them down. The KNO3 in the wax should help everything burn completely.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »

So I'd need to infuse salt peter in the Gulf wax? What kind of ratio? And then apply that to a dried paper after the cartridge has been made?

I assume my cartridges burst when I seat them as I crush them in there fairly hard. They are only slightly smaller than the chamber.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

I couldn't tell you what ratio. As soon as time permits, i'm going to do some testing.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »

My salt peter is in the form of stump remover. It's pelletized. Any idea how to safely turn it to dust?

How have you made your paraffin/SP mix before? Do you just brush it on the exterior of your cartridges?

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »

There's many ways to skin a skunk but some are overly and needlessly complex.

Wax paper has been successfully tested but not extensively from what I hear.

Using rolling papers has been extensively and successfully tested for years.  I even have lubed wads inside of mine and they go  bang every time, even many months later.

Neither requires nitrating papers as for the latter, its already been done.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »

I haven't made the mixture rowdah. It was just an idea I'm bouncing around.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 05:27:52 AM »

Rolled up 20 cartridges yesterday using a lubed Kaido bullet and around 17 grains of Triple 7. Once I see how they shoot I will post a tutorial on how I do mine as I never tried these with the Kaido bullet before
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 07:08:47 AM »

They worked well for me (240 grn version), but I couldn't get more than 30 grns of 3F T7 to fit (35 grns fits without the paper).

Which Kaido bullet are you loading, and what pistol are you shooting them through?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up