Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Cartridges  (Read 12857 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Paper Cartridges
« on: July 14, 2013, 04:46:31 PM »

I've read several threads concerning making paper cartridges at home using cigarette rolling papers and decided to give it a whirl.

One of the things I recall having read (it's been a while since I've read about it) was to use a 7/16" dowel to help roll the paper properly. I topped the dowel with my conical and used just enough paper to reach the first lube groove or the second band (~1/8") as I used 3 different types of conical.

I cut the papers in half and loaded them up with 35 grns of 3F powder and twisted the end to hold it in. There was usually just enough to get a little twisty on the end.

Then I began looking around for old threads on paper cartridges and found that a taper will help, if it's not required. Oops! I hadn't thought of that.

What do you guys use to roll the paper to make it tapered? This guy used plastic tubing of some sort. It looked like a piece of Bic pen or something.

And then I also found a fellow who uses a wet sponge to moisten the glue as licking it is likely a good way to ingest some lead. Oops again!

I used American Spirits rolling papers which are very thin and made of flax (IIRC).

My first time out with my rifle and pistol I spent 6 hours and only shot 50 rounds through each. This will really speed things up if it works well!

I can't wait to get to the range and try them out!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Brick196

• View Profile
Re: Paper Cartridges
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »

6 hrs and only 50 shots why. I to would like to try this it might save some time at the range but what I want to know is how do you get the lube pill or wad in the paper. I use a lube pill and won't shoot without them or a wad the paper cartridge sounds good for faster reloads but without a wad or pill you will be cleaning your gun after 3 or 4 cylinders full so my question is does it really save any time no I don't think. Maybe a quick reload when the zombies come maybe

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »

The range would go cold on me too quickly while at the 50 yd rifle range. Having to swab the bore every 3rd round slows me down as well. And it was my first time with a muzzleloader. I'm a little quicker now.

I set my bullet atop the dowel to roll the paper. You could set a wad/lube pill between them.

Would a lube pill contaminate the powder over night?

I have a bunch of these papers from when I switched to American Spirits from Marlboro (chemicals). The cost was too high for the standard packs so I switched to roll it yourself and pre rolled cigarette tubes. I could send you some if you want to try it out.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 04:41:59 AM »

I am going to try this but use a small disk of wax paper between the powder and lube to protect it so I will put powder wax paper bullet in that otder. Kaito had a post on a yahoo list about using wax paper instead of cigarette paper was going to try that as well. He said it burned completely with no residue
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »

Regular kitchen wax paper?

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »

yup as far as i know store brand wax paper is just parrafin coated paper it was developed around 1876 which would explain why they never used it on the percussion era

parrafin, canning wax, is often used as acomponent of lube
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »

I use it in my Gatofeo lube, which I use for wads and bullet lube. I have quite a bit of it.

bigbore442001

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »

I have had bad luck with making paper cartridges. It seems they always ended up looking like some sort of pupae. In addition I have found some bits of paper in the chambers of the cylinder.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »

That's one of the things I will be looking for. I made up 24 cartridges to see what a prolonged use of them does.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »

I have had bad luck with making paper cartridges. It seems they always ended up looking like some sort of pupae. In addition I have found some bits of paper in the chambers of the cylinder.

Were you using nitrated paper?

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »

I couldn't help myself! I sanded down the dowel a little bit and made some more!

These are 30 grns with a 190 grn conical.

I've run out of handy things to store them in and am using some tupperware. I fill in my gaps with cotton balls.

Has anyone stored them bullet down, tail up without the bullet pulling out? Mine are mostly held on by the lube sticking to the paper. I'm laying them flat as I'm afraid the bullets may pull out if I store them nose down.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 01:49:13 PM »

how about some pictures?
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »

Here's 2 of the 3 bullets I used. Some are 30 and others are 35 grns of either 3F Triple 7 or Olde Eynsford.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 03:40:27 PM »

I have a small multitool that has a fair pair of scissors instead of pliers that I can cut the larger twisty tails off with if I find them a problem. And if they don't fit in the chambers I'll tear the end off and dump the powder, rip off the paper, and load. Still faster.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »

They worked out quite well. It did leave behind some paper residue in some of the chambers. After a while I decided to leave it and see if it would cause problems. After 3 cylinders I experienced none.

I did have some problems loading up a few of my cartridges. I believe it was likely due to them not being tight enough. A little finagling got them in.

I did have one bullet pull out, but out of 42 cartridges and no glue I think that fairly good.

A fellow has told me he made a concoction from smokeless/acetone that he brushed on the finished cartridge to help them burn the paper. Has anyone heard of this or done something like it?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up