Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kik goex  (Read 3522 times)

Brick196

• View Profile
Kik goex
« on: July 12, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »

What's up guys I just got a new chrony I also have 2 different kinds of powder kik and goex both 3f I'm going to see how they perform against each other I've heard kik is hotter and cleaner where goex is more accurate well let's see.

I'm going to use two guns for this both are made by uberti. Both are copy's of the remington one is new army.44 cal the other new navy .36 cal what is going to be nice is I can shoot the same powder charge in both guns so we can see the difference in projectile performance in the two calibers with the same powder charge and I'm thinking 25 or 30 grains and that's a good charge in either caliber  in the navy that's a full cylinder.

I will be using home cast round balls made in lee molds .380 and .457

I use a lube pill goes between ball and powder I make these myself from mutton tallow bee wax and paraffin wax the recipe I got from another web site and I love these things I can shoot over 100 times with no problem with fowling and makes clean up much Easier

As for accuracy the best I can do is 20 yards from a bench and sand bag and measure group size maybe measure overall group of a full cylinder of 6 shots than tightest  group of 3 out of the six

Any suggestions are welcome advice also welcome

I'm using remington #10 caps they fit these guns good and I find them more reliable in these guns.

I also put the flat part of the cast round ball on the side when I load it into the cylinder so it gets shave off when I ram it in. I got tired of trying to get it strait up its to time consuming and I think to the side so it gets cut off is more accurate it is also faster and easier to load a lot of the time I can fill the flat part in my fingers and load it almost with out looking. And it just makes more sense to eliminate it than to try to center it this is also one reason I mold a slightly over sized ball than what is recommended spur definitely gets cut off and a better gas seal.

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: Kik goex
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 07:48:32 PM »

I've gotta say that I like your idea of putting the sprue off to the side. That's makes sense cutting it off. I haven't put much effort into exact center.

Are you using the Gatofeo lube?

I'd be interested to know how they compare to Swiss, Olde Eynsford, and Triple 7.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Brick196

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:19:46 AM »

Yea that's the recipe for lube pills I also read some stuff on the lube pills from sticky I think idk but good stuff I use a modified 270 brass to punch out .380 pills and a 7mm rem mag modified brass for .44 cal they load easier than wool wads and because when you put the ball on top of the pill it squashes it to fit and yea trying to get that sprue cented strait up forget it that makes no sence to me if that sprue has to be dead nuts for the most accuracy then nobody who ever shot one of these ever got the most accuracy out of the gun because there's no way they got that sprue dead nuts so no way max accuracy was achieved

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

I don't used lubed wads much anymore, but I did pour the excess Gatofeo's lube into a soap mold and cut that into squares which I then use like a crayon to fill in the lube grooves on my bullets. It takes more time that way, but I have plenty of that.

I've been wondering if it would make a good patch lube for my rifle. I've been using peanut oil as SWMBO jumped my case when she realized I was eyeing her cooking oils! I was handed the peanut oil and ordered out of the pantry! Sheesh! I haven't worked on accuracy at all as I'm still breaking it in, but with 70 grns of Pyrodex (P and RS) and a .490" RB with 0.015" patches has given me as small of a group as 1.5" at 50 yds, which is quite good with my poor eyesight.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Brick196

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 02:18:24 PM »

Yea I hear ya about the eye sight thingy I keep trying for tighter groups thinking its the gun but I think it's my eyes and to be honest at 33 yards I can get an average of 2 inch groups out of my ruger old army and my Uberty new army so I guess that's not bad but I would like to get clover leaves but I don't think that's going to happen but I'm  deffenitly hitting consistently in the kill zone and that's Gona have to be good enough

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

I was really wanting to shoot some hogs with my pistol and have bought a bunch of Kaido's 240 grn RNFP bullets for it. But I'm not doing well enough.

I decided that for me to hunt with it I must be able to keep all 6 within a 4" group at 25 yds. I'm closer to 6", but with a flier or two that opens it up quite a bit. I could use it at 15 yds, but I'd need to pour corn up to where I was hiding for that!  ::)

But I'm still working on it, and trying different stances and whatnot. I also want to work more off of a rest as that may be an option. I've been meaning to find a yucca plant stick to see if I made an indention for the barrel if it would help me steady it enough for walking around. It may help as camo were I spotted!

Brick196

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

I'm waiting on a mold for Kaidos bullit I'm also wanting to kill a hog with it I'm planning on carrying one of my pistols black bear hunting this year I hope to run into one close enough that I can kill one with a roa or remmy some 777 and a Kaido bullit

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »

Which mold have you ordered (240 or 255)?

As I want a wide FN bullet for use in my ROA it seems the Kaido bullet is the best option. The molds I see are either a RN or very light weight.

I'm not so sure lightweight is bad though. One of the guys Kaido hunts with prefers a RB while hog hunting out to 25 yds or so as it's just devastating. He likes the destruction, and it obviously penetrates well enough. But I have no idea of the size of the hogs he's shot. And so I've wondered if a medium weight (~200 grns) would give a good compromise between expansion and penetration. The problem is that Lee charges about $175 for a custom mold. There may be other options...

I've also wondered how Lee's 160 grn RNFP bullet would do if modified as it seems it would take up roughly the same amount of chamber space as a RB, yet be slightly heavier and creating a little higher pressure with greater bearing surface and weight.

Brick196

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:48:50 PM »

I ordered the 255 for the roa

I went to the range this morning and got some shooting in I was using the kik powder 3 fffg
Here are some of my results

First I shot the new army 44
I shot 4 cylinders of 6 shots so these results are from a group of 24 shots
30 grains of kik by volume lube pill home cast 457 roundball cci#11 caps

Average velocity 794
Energy.              201

Second I shot the new navy 36
Agian 24 shots
30 grains powder lube pill 380 round ball

Velocity 916
Energy  149

Third I shot the new navy 36 but I dropped down to 20 grains if kik

Velocity 807
Energy  115

Accuracy was good I got good groups from the 44 not so from the 36 I need to do some thing about the sights on this thing :-\it shoots high left by 4 inches both ways

I shot another group from the 44 but I guess chrony was to close I got crazy readings and spin reading the directions found out that it was to close the muzzle blast was to much I guess for I went to 35 grains and it was saying a velocity ranging anywhere from 100 fps to 1500 fps so I didn't include them results however I'm putting up a pic if the target because it is beautiful 18 shots about tore out the bullseye I had to put another bullseye on it 

Brick196

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »

I got to say I'm kinda disappointed in results I expected a little better velocity. When I first got the chrony I shot kik and goex and for preliminary results they are both about the about the same one thing I noticed for some reason kik gets the hands dirty and goex gets the gun dirty for the price I would buy the kik. I'm going to shoot all 30 pounds of the kik and goex that I have on hand then I'm buying nothing but 777 it's cleaner and hotter

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »

Nice!

I'm curious what your hunting load is.

For myself I wanted to replicate, if not best, the 45 Colt (400 ft/lbs+), which is what prompted me to get Triple 7.

Mike Beliveau did some testing with Triple 7 and Goex using ROA's and a ball, conical, and Kaido 255 grn bullet. With a reduced (~15%) charge of 25 grns of T7 he got 920 fps/479 ft/lbs with Kaido's bullet. With 30 grns of Goex he got 744 fps/314 ft/lbs.

I don't reduce my load, and I can fit 35 grns under Kaido's 240 grn bullet. I'd imagine I'm close to 550 ft/lbs.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »

If you like BP look into Olde Eynsford or Swiss. They are close in velocity/accuracy testing through rifles. OE is Goex's answer to Swiss. Swiss is supposedly similar in velocity to Triple 7.

Brick196

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »

Well I'm not really a traditionalist when it comes to my powder Swiss is $$$ and 777 is only $20 a lb I plan on using real black probly kik at $14 a lb for the range and 777 for hunting I will probly only use a lb of 777 a year and black just to stay in practice no point burning up $$$ to put holes in paper

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »

I bought my OE at Graf's for $17/lb I believe. T7 costs something like $23.60 there. Swiss is in between.
Pages: [1]   Go Up