Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RB Performance  (Read 6623 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: RB Performance
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »

That makes sense if Mike was able to get 920 fps with the same charge and the 255 grn bullet.

Maybe I'm overdoing my powder charge. If 25 grns is enough to punch through a typical boar why use 35 grns? Although I must say I'd use "pure" lead over his harder alloy (7-12 BHN). Maybe 30 grns would be ideal with softer lead...
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 10:07:38 PM »

Not following you there. If you're using pure lead, that 25 grain charge of triple 7 is still plenty. It'll actually produce a slightly higher velocity because it'll have less resistance in the barrel. You don't want to move pure lead bullets too fast. You'll have leading problems.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »

Kaido casts his a little hard. I assume they don't expand as cast per him. If they were pure they might expand a little, and to get that level (complete passthrough) of penetration may require a little more velocity.

I view things from a more extreme perspective. Hogs may be common in the 150-250 lb range, but it's not unheard of to run across one that's 350 lbs.

I'd probably mess myself if I saw one of those Hogzilla monsters! I don't know if I'd shoot it with a camera or my rifle! Not the pistol though!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 11:47:31 PM »

The ideal hunting bullet stops under the skin on the opposite side. It will have expended all it's energy. The pure lead bullet will work just fine. Even if the pig is 500 pounds, it's still a pig, not a cape buffalo.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »

I prefer the idea of a second hole.

I've read too many accounts of hogs taking shots from more powerful weapons and even finding bullets and arrow heads in their shield.

For me it's more the concern that it's been injured and will likely be mad and wanting retribution! And it happens fast! And I'm no pistolero. I'm not even sure how well I'd react. So the idea of a projectile that expands easily and large, as well as travels through sits well with me.

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 07:16:54 AM »

Expands AND penetrates is a tough Grail to find.  I prefer penetration to expansion so I start with a 45 caliber bullet and consider it to be pre-expanded.  I normally cast my bullets from a binary alloy of lead and tin.  Soft ones are 40/1 but I have gone as hard as 16/1.  Penetration is usually through and through.  The second hole allows the blood to pour out and makes what little tracking may be necessary, a lot easier.

For PRB, I usually use a bit of tin to make the alloy flow easier.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »

"Expands AND penetrates is a tough Grail to find."

Going by my sense of logic, which has certainly let me down before, says a heavy pure lead bullet ought to work well. It should certainly penetrate well as it'll have a good sectional density. But if I can only have one I'll take the penetration!

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »

What we need is a chart showing all of the differing powders like Triple 7, and Swiss and Olde Eynsford and regular GOEX and their velocities measured over a chronograph. Then we can figure out the  energy we need for what game we will be hunting. Anyone know where a chart like this exists?

I hunt small game and coyotes and varmites for now and I'm mostly looking for accuracy, but if I were to move up to deer I would like to see some energy figures. 

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:22 AM »

I've seen sporadic testing, but nothing all laid out nicely other than this one:

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 02:20:44 AM »

What we need is a chart showing all of the differing powders...

Anyone know where a chart like this exists?

...I would like to see some energy figures.

In your backyard when you do it!

Energy smenergy!  A round ball inside 50 yards and deer and the like are dead meat.  A big Keith inspired conical will reach out to 100 yards and do the same thing.  However, the energy figures will never reveal such, they were made for modern bullets.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 05:32:42 AM »

Just picked up a 1866 carbine with the 16" barrel does anyone know what the longer barrel does for velocity improvement?
NRA Life Member

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 06:38:12 AM »

Oh great put all the pressure on me.  ;)  I guess what this means is stop overthinking and just get out there. But I still like the conversion cylinder, just wish I had noticed Gary and his Thuer conversion before I bought my R&D, for winter hunting and those big punishing bullets.   

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »

What's the Thuer gain you over the R&D? It looks good but it isn't a true front loading Thuer
NRA Life Member

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »

I think they are all about the same but the Thuer conversion cylinder is more accurate historically. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus HH's work is outstanding.  :)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 03:24:17 AM »

HH's work is outstanding and it looks great but isn't historically accurate except for looks. Thuers used a tapered cartridge loaded from the front his uses a normal cartridge loade from the rear. The Thuer was a method to circumvent the RolinWjitevpatent on bored through cylinders. Many of the other conversion cylinders are probably more accurate historically
NRA Life Member
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up