Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RB Performance  (Read 6607 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
RB Performance
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

I'm wanting to hear from those who have/do hunt with a handgun using RB's. I've read many accounts of passthroughs on medium game.

I bought some custom bullets from Kaido for hunting hogs, and have found a cheaper caster who now makes 230 grn FN bullets resized to work in a cap n ball gun. I've been thinking I'll be needing some soon, but I've been reading of people preferring a RB to a bullet under 35 yds or so.

I use 3F Triple 7.

What say you?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

swathdiver

• View Profile
Re: RB Performance
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »

Like you, I'm getting ready to hunt with my revolver.  However, only real BP and round ball will be used for starters.  Don't plan on taking shots out past 25 yards, these old eyes can't see that far!

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »

What pistol and load do you plan on using?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »

Going to use my Pietta New Model Army.

Plan to use SWISS FFFFg and will work up loads using round ball and Lee 220gr conicals.  The fellas over at PRG say to keep the  powder charge to 1/10th of bullet weight.  Will be using a Chrony to measure velocities.  Will also test with Goex and Graf's FFFg, working up loads for best accuracy and then will put those through the Chrony too if it survives the earlier tests!

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

Why 4F?
I've often read that using 4F in calibers larger than .31 isn't a good idea due to pressure. Is this the reason for the 1/10 projectile weight? I'm not too keen on all of that though...
I've wanted to try out Swiss, but I cannot find any here in San Antonio. I want some oomph, and so it seems I'm stuck with Triple 7 for now. Goex and Pyrodex are just too weak...
I'm curious how well those conicals work in your Pietta, and how hard/easy they are to seat.
I'm also very curious about your chrono results. Please post them if you don't mind.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:46:57 PM »

Why 4F?
I've often read that using 4F in calibers larger than .31 isn't a good idea due to pressure. Is this the reason for the 1/10 projectile weight? I'm not too keen on all of that though...
I've wanted to try out Swiss, but I cannot find any here in San Antonio. I want some oomph, and so it seems I'm stuck with Triple 7 for now. Goex and Pyrodex are just too weak...
I'm curious how well those conicals work in your Pietta, and how hard/easy they are to seat.
I'm also very curious about your chrono results. Please post them if you don't mind.

Will post but it may be some time, not all the goodies are here yet.

4F back in the 1860s was pistol powder.  That's what our guns were fed back then, which is why the .36 and .31 were so deadly, when we see them as anemic at best.  4F Swiss should easily compare with 3F 777.  If I want to blast a pig with one shot with a traditional gun with a traditional load, this is the way to go.  I don't have a buffalo/buntline barrelled gun and don't like synthetic powders.

There's no BP for 150 miles around me either.  I order from Grafs as little as 3lbs sometimes.  PowderInc. sells in 5lb lots and are less expensive the more you buy but I'm poor and cannot usually afford more than 3lbs at a time.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »

I'd really like to try BP if it's Swiss as the others seem so weak in comparison, but, like you, I just don't have the money to buy enough to make a hazmat fee worthwhile. I get a small "allowance", which has to cover my hobby of brewing beer as well...

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »

My 3F supply of Goex is being supplanted by Graf's which is Schuetzen.  When runs low, I'd like to permanently use Olde Eynsford.  Swiss would be just too expensive for me to use regularly, then again, they may reduce their prices substantially to compete with Olde E or stop importing it.  We shall see.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »

I recently got a pound of Olde Eynsford to try in comparison to Triple 7, though I don't have a good way to really compare it.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »

Pistol powder was 1.5-2f back in the day. powder was just powder.  25 grains of 3f behind that bullet will do just fine.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »

I've seen a report that a fellow did trying to recreate historical loads, and he found that Swiss 3F is the closest to what was used in pistols back then.

The report can be found on the Yahoo Percussion Revolver Group. It's quite lengthy and 2 part.

I am wanting to replicate or best a 45 Colt load level (400+ ft/lbs). I figure any 3 of those powders is capable of doing that and more. Quite likely over 500 ft/lbs.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »

I saw a test with 20 grains of 3f trip 7 and the 240 grain kaido conical. It got a muzzle velocity of nearly 1000 fps.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »

Can you provide a link to that test?

The only one I've seen was from Mike Beliveau, and it was with 30 grns of 3F Goex. I think it was fired from an 1860 Army clone. It produced 725 fps and 280 ft/lbs.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »

I'll see if I can dig it up.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 08:21:15 PM »

In the comments section of this video, someone called coltperc said that 25 grains of trip7 moves the grain conical at 950 fps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmYRePzoOQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up