Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Eynsford Powder  (Read 2670 times)

bigbore442001

• View Profile
Old Eynsford Powder
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

Has anyone heard more information regarding this new black powder? From what I understand it is supposed to rival Hodgdon's H777. I am hoping it is available in the New England area. I love H777 but it has one big weakness. If you open the canister it begins to slowly degrade. Black powder is very stable and will last a long time.

swathdiver

• View Profile
Re: Old Eynsford Powder
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »

Hmm, forget where I read it but yesterday I was googling around and saw a post about April or May now.  I was hoping to try some out but am about ready to place and order and it will be for SWISS and Grafs instead!

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »

I recently received a can of 3F as I've read it rivals Swiss and Triple 7 (the powder I've been using).

I want to stock/carry only one powder for all of my arms (Lyman's .50 cal percussion Deerstalker and Ruger Old Army at the moment), and as my ROA may be called upon to help track a wounded hog I demand as much power as I can get, which is lacking in Pyrodex and most other BP's.

As I don't have a chronograph I'm unsure how I'll know how it compares, but I do know that 35 grns of 3F T7 pushing a 240 grn bullet from my ROA has a stout amount of recoil. Pyrodex doesn't give this.

I'm somewhat convinced by other's testing that it's in the ballpark as far as power, and so I suppose it mostly comes down to clean up. At $17/lb vs $22.60/lb I'll take the savings too. I'll need to do some weight testing per volume as well as I believe T7 will be a good bit lighter. The bottle of Olde E looks a little smaller.

The powder testing I've seen was through a rifle. Has anyone seen results from a handgun?
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

GunSlingerNM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »

Olde Eynsford is a decent powder. I just tried it out a few days ago and it does a good job, seems to me to shoot hotter than Goex and a bit cleaner. It is not as hot as Swiss or 777.
I've also been playing around with Alliant Black-MZ and really like it so far, mostly due to not fouling up my guns. It does make a bunch of smoke like black powder. I have found that to load consistently I have to tap the measure a bit or lightly tamp it some or weigh it cuz it is so fluffy volume measuring is not reliable.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »

From the little testing I've seen online firing Olde E against T7 and Swiss it was on par with their performance grain for grain (volume). Swiss seemed to generally get a few fps more, as well as a little better consistency (rifles), but I've also read one account of it actually doing a little better than Swiss. I have no way to quantify my own results, but the recoil seems about the same compared to T7.

Since I'm not a match shooter I'm good with the performance I'm getting. For me the choice of powder stems from needing a good dose of horsepower from my ROA. So I've chosen 3F granulation. Olde E gives me what I want at a more affordable price. I do still like T7 though, and intend on using it as my home defense load since it resists corrosion so much better. Were I to need to use it the police may very well take it for testing or some such, and no doubt won't clean it. My odds are better with T7 from the 3 day testing I saw. No rust at all.

I'm getting capsules that replace the nipples for using small primers. I'm considering trying BH 209 and anything else that produces less smoke and fouling.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up