Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shawk & McLanahan Navy Revolver  (Read 9559 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Shawk & McLanahan Navy Revolver
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:01:41 AM »

Shawk & McLanahan Navy Revolver made in St. Louis/Carondelet, Missouri in the late 1850s that is really interesting.  Thought for years to be Confederate because some of their machinery was sold to Leech & Rigdon, and the makers to be Confederate sympathizers, which has been debunked, they still represent one of the most rare of American percussion revolvers.  This one is serial number 2 and is one of 8 known to exist today.  I believe that there were no more than 50 originally made based on the serial numbers that I have discovered.  They were all basically handmade and each are a little different.  The real inventor was a German immigrant gunsmith named William Tegethoff who also worked with the Hawkens in St. Louis and this one as well as serial number 1 are marked with his name, not the Shawk & McLanahan name seen on the remaining 6.  The frames of these are cast brass with the remaining parts being iron.  They had barrels from 7-1/2 to 8 in length and were .36 caliber.  There is a complete history in the Jan/Feb, 2010 issue of The Gun Report. 

NRA Life Member

Frank Graves

• View Profile
Re: Shawk & McLanahan Navy Revolver
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

It is interesting that of the all of the revolvers pictured and discussed in this group, the Shawk & McLanahan has received the most views, by far.  There is an updated article on this rare revolver in the current issue of Arms Heritage Magazine which is located at www.armsheritagemagazine.com.

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »

You have to subscribe to read it.  Looking at the archives; I'm surprised I haven't seen this mag till now.

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

There is a complete history in the Jan/Feb, 2010 issue of The Gun Report. 

OK, how about a link to this?  I cannot find it on my search engines.

Frank Graves

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

The Gun Report went out of business suddenly about three years ago.  I don't think there is a way to find anything from this magazine as they never had an internet presence.  The Arms Heritage online article is an update of the Gun Report article.

Arms Heritage is totally about antique and slightly more recent collectible guns.  It is published bi monthly for $19.00 per year.  A new subscriber can access the archived articles and print them.  You might want to give us a try.  The first issue can be viewed free of charge to get a feel of what it is.

Frank Graves

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »

Cornell Publications at www.cornellpubs.com has recently derived a monograph on the Shawk & McLanahan from Arms Heritage Magazine that can be purchased for $6.98.  There are other monographs on other important topics as well that were taken from Arms Heritage.

It is interesting that of all the revolvers in this section, the Shawk & McLanahan with 8 known examples has received the vast majority of looks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:04:11 PM by Frank Graves »
Pages: [1]   Go Up