News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Load  (Read 2381 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Load
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »

I bought some of Kaido's 240 grn custom bullets for hunting with . Our deer are quite small around me (75-125 lbs), but the hogs can get fairly big.

I acquired my Old Army not long ago and have been shooting mostly RB's and using mostly some old Pyrodex RS just to get used to this gun.

I've recently fired several cylinders of Kaido's bullets with 35 grns of 3F Triple 7, which is as much powder as I can cram in there. But my groups aren't good enough to hunt with yet. Many state that max loads aren't going to be the more accurate ones. What's the lowest load you'd use that you'd feel comfortable with shooting a hog that weighed 300 lbs? Especially if you had to track him down if he ran off?

Here you can see that his results were rather high using the 255 grn bullets and lighter loads of 3F T7. 920 fps and 479 ft/lbs with 25 grns of powder. I figure I'm getting more horsepower than this. It's been explained that chrono results may not be accurate, but even if we reduce the results by 10% it's still pretty dadgum good! I just wanted to try to replicate or best the 45 Colt loads.

I'd be happy with 400 ft/lbs. But I want <4" groups out to 25 yds from a rest. Though my rest is rather poor as I don't want to burn the range's rest that's about what I get at 15 yds with the 35 grn load. I'm considering backing off to 30 grns next range day.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

BGRooster1

• View Profile
Re: Load
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »

What are you getting for velocity? If you are getting something in the lower 900's you are good -to- go. Even at 920fps,that's 451 ft/lbs.
 Drop it down to 875 fps and you still get 407 ft/lbs out the tube.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »

I don't have a chronograph. I'm going by the results of someone who did use one while testing Goex vs Triple 7 using RB, conicals, and Kaido's 255 grn bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdauzEFXMNc

He got 920 fps with 479 ft/lbs using the 255 grn bullet and 25 grns of 3F T7. He got 968 fps and 469 ft/lbs using a 225 grn conical pushed by 30 grns of T7.

I have been using 35 grns of 3F T7 using 240 grn bullets. So I have to believe my results are quite a bit higher, and that I can back off of that charge and still be close to the above results.

I've been told that chronograph results may not be accurate. Even if the results are reduced by 10% for errors it's still good.

I wish I had a way to check my results to know for sure. I'm OK with ball park, but I don't care much for assumptions. Especially were I tracking a rather large pissed off pig that I wounded and was tracking through the brush!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:25 AM »

Hi

There should be a simpler way to measure ft/lbs or is there? Seems like a metal plate you shoot with some type of scale device attached to the back to measure the force of the impact? Or is that too simple?

Joel
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

There was some sort of a pendulum system for measuring the energy way back when if I understand correctly.

What I find strange is the big difference between that guy's results and what Hogdgon has printed, which is 987 fps with a round ball and 35 grns of 3F T7 from an Old Army, whereas Mike got 1062 fps with 33 grns of 3F T7 and a round ball.

When I load up 35 grns and a 240 grn bullet it feels like a 44 mag. It's even dropped my loading lever twice.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:28:46 AM »

Hi

Seems like now you could do it with a digital scale behind a metal plate programmed to record the peak force applied until reset.Or maybe peak and average. Hit the plate a few times, go look at the readout. Then you could also determine the actual force left at different distances not at the muzzle

Joel
NRA Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up