Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?  (Read 12736 times)

Quentin

• View Profile
Re: Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »

At one time the percussion revolver was state of the art. Also, there is no doubt they still can be effective.

But today there are so many better choices that use metallic cartridges. In a serious situation I'd feel better with a modern semiauto pistol or a good AR-15.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 11:06:31 PM »

Agreed if available. As I stated at the beginning in some areas, states, and countries these are getting harder to come by for some people
NRA Life Member

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:01 AM »

Agreed if available. As I stated at the beginning in some areas, states, and countries these are getting harder to come by for some people

And in those areas, defending yourself will be equally difficult from a legal standpoint.  Just because something is defined as "antique" for the purpose of sales, does not mean you won't get handed a weapons charge if you use it for it's intended purpose.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »

True but the old saying better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 holds true

I would hazard most armed confrontations do not involve firing and as the criminal isn't in any hurry to report the incident probably a lot don't go reported

Look at the laws CT, MA, and NY have recently put in regarding guns and ammo purchases
NRA Life Member

bubba15301

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »

i carry one everyday

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »

I'm curious as to what caliber and what load you depend on.

I have my Old Army loaded now, until I can get my shorty '58 sighted and broken in, with 25 or 30 grns of 3F T7 and a .457" ball. I figure this gives me 44 Spl to 45 ACP levels on the short side in the hopes that a reduction in velocity equals a reduction in penetration of brick across the street were I to miss. I figure I'm getting 950-1000 fps or so.

I'm still saving my pennies for a custom mold to drop 160 grn FN bullets that are slightly shorter than a ball. I assume I'll get close to the same velocity with more bearing surface to generate more pressure.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:50 AM »

...I'm still saving my pennies for a custom mold to drop 160 grn FN bullets that are slightly shorter than a ball...

Here is one,

http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-452-160-rf.html

Handles included and under $30.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »

Someone on another forum had used it or one like it with great results. I'm not sure if it was modified in any way, but it wasn't mentioned that I recall. It's what gave life to my thoughts here as he had mentioned it being no longer than a ball, and therefore not taking up any powder capacity.

My problem with it is it wouldn't fit in my Old Army, and don't have a stepped base to ensure easy and straight loading.

When I first had Tom at Accurate Molds design a bullet the length of a ball it turned out to be 180 grns if cast with WW's. It also didn't have a nice wide FN as I had wanted. Since I had 160 grns on my mind I had him work on that too.

This custom mold will be a 5 cavity mold with two dropping heavy hunting bullets weighing roughly 260-280 grns for things that may want retribution. Two of them will be roughly 200 grns and roughly the length of a ball, and the final cavity will be this small, roughly 160 grn bullet.

From there I may send it to another place that installs reversible hollow point pins into the 160 and 200 grn cavities. But first I'd want to see how they behave.

The only mold that drops a bullet with a fairly wide nose and of a nice heavier weight is Kaido's custom Lee bullet. BigLube bullets have a smaller FN area and are quite long for their lighter weight.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

bubba15301

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »

I'm curious as to what caliber and what load you depend on.

I have my Old Army loaded now, until I can get my shorty '58 sighted and broken in, with 25 or 30 grns of 3F T7 and a .457" ball. I figure this gives me 44 Spl to 45 ACP levels on the short side in the hopes that a reduction in velocity equals a reduction in penetration of brick across the street were I to miss. I figure I'm getting 950-1000 fps or so.

I'm still saving my pennies for a custom mold to drop 160 grn FN bullets that are slightly shorter than a ball. I assume I'll get close to the same velocity with more bearing surface to generate more pressure.
.36  cal 25 grains 3f 777 with rb . .31 cal remmy- 12 grains3f 777with .315 rb

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »

You ought to bump up the size of RB you are using. Scroll down to the .31 Remington and see what he observed:

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

bubba15301

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

tried .320 rb .they are way to big .too much effort to load

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »

You'll note that the smaller ball had much less power despite the same powder charge.

It may be beneficial to ream the chambers a bit too as they are grossly undersized. It's what I'd do were I to get one.

bubba15301

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 05:54:18 PM »

mine is a cva manual says to use .315 rb

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 12:12:40 PM »

That may be true, but that doesn't mean it's what is best.

Check out the bore dimensions. They are likely much larger then the chamber dimensions, especially when a .315" RB is further shaved down.

I'm not familiar with that brand and didn't know they had made them. Maybe they aren't as bad as the Pietta version. All yo can do is check it and see. And even dial calipers would give you an idea, though not very accurate.

bubba15301

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 07:12:24 PM »

made by asm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up