Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?  (Read 12746 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:48:22 AM »

Greetings

Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense? What are your thoughts?

Joel
NRA Life Member

bigbore442001

• View Profile
Re: Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »

This is a difficulty question. Right now most people have access to modern arms for self defense. In all honesty they provide the user with a more reliable product. When percussion revolvers were first developed it was the best of it's day. It was far better than a single shot or double barreled muzzleloading handgun. You had five to six shots on hand. Let us take a leap forward and it is the turn of the century,1900 to be exact. The double action revolver chambered in a smokeless round was the top of the heap for self defense. I don't want to get into the autoloading stuff but I think the readers can see the picture.

Is the percussion revolver viable. Yes. I don't want to sound that I am going contrary to the start of this but if that is your only option then it is . You can read,"Hell I was there." a biography of Elmer Keith. He was a man who grew up in Idaho during the first half of the 1900's and knew some old Civil War era veterans. They claimed the cap and ball revolver had a great deal of killing power. It is a worthy read and shows that the percussion revolver is more than adequate for the job.

The biggest issue is that the ignition system is much more open and susceptable to moisture. If you can seal the chambers it would be a viable tool.

zb17ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:07:07 AM »

I have no doubts about. Carefully cleaned and loaded, percussion revolver will do the job. Of course, nothing can beat shotgun loaded with buckshot.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 04:52:37 AM »

Greetings

"Right now most people have access to modern arms for self defense"

Most but not all. For mainly political reasons many people in other countries besides the US do not, and in some jurisdictions in the US it is hard. Yet many places that do not allow modern firearms allow percussion revolvers. Plus in most states in the US percussion revolvers are able to be sent through the mail without a FFL or background check. Most states deny pistol permits to anyone under the age of 21 yet many times these younger people live in the less secure areas due to lower rents. The city I first lived in the police only issued permits to the politically connected yet I had a percussion revolver at 19. Where I live now the chief is more reasonable and I am in a better position in society so my situation is different. But we are only one Supreme Court vote away from overturning Heller.

I think a modern auto or revolver is a better choice but where one is not available, due to political or other considerations, we should explore what can be done to make a percussion revolver a viable alternative. What is a better defensive load? Which revolver, or caliber, works best? What can be done to ensure reliable performance so the gun goes "bang" 100% of the time?

Joel
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:54:26 AM by Jaxenro »
NRA Life Member

Kaido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:44 AM »

Greetings

Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense? What are your thoughts?

Joel

There are many people who use Percussion Revolvers for self defense against man and beast,in the 21st century this is due to several factors, Age in the USA to purchase a modern cartridge handgun from a dealer one has to be the magical age of 21 years old, so young people under 21 who cannot purchase a modern handgun from a dealer have an alternative, the Percussion Revolver, This is how I started out at 18 years of age in 1983, my Karate teacher who was also an attorney educated me on Percussion Revolvers and suggested I buy one, so I purchased my 1st Percussion revolver at Navy Arms and it got me hooked ever since. Other mitigating reason for self defense use of The Percussion Revolver in the 21st Century are persons with legal status issues and over restrictive arbitrary laws in certain venues, Not just in the United States but in foreign countries many people still to this day rely on percussion revolvers for defensive purposes. At 19, I carried My Piettia Remington Officer model and Ruger Old Army as an Armed Security Guard, at McDonalds and Burger Kings, in a Koplin Nylon Flap Holster I had no choice as it was the best job I could get at the time, as I lost my father a few years before and needed to bring income home. So I carried percussion revolvers, in hot and humid damp moist environments, I would unload the gun about every 3 months, I never had a misfire, I loaded it with Pyrodex P, and a Round Lead Ball with a Dynamite Nobel RWS Percussion Caps with Uncle Mikes Nipples on the Piettia Remington. I am fully confident that I could have effectively defended my life and the lives of patrons and employees as well, with my Percussion Revolvers, very effectively. Thank The Lord I never need to. So yes in this modern age Percussion revolvers are still being used by a few people for self defense purposes.

Kaido
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 12:17:02 AM by Kaido »

Freedom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »

I know it will get the job done very well..

But.....my wife watches all those real life court and murder shows on TV...A while back some lady used a Remington C&B to kill an ex boy friend in her home....she was fully charged and prosecuted for "Murder"..

The big ticket item used to prove Premeditation was the gun. The attorney showed that it took too long to load, therefor she must have planned the murder before hand  >:( :( ::)

There was more to the story, and the lady probably did lure the ex to her house..(I bet you can't figure out what she used for bait.. ;D :'()....But that doesn't  change the fact that the Cap&Ball was used to "Prove" premeditation. ???..How stupid are attorneys jurors. ::)

brushhippie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:42 PM »

There is not a reason in the world a C&B revolver wouldnt do just fine for self defense, I own modern firearms but my carry revolver is a 58 Remmie.

brazosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »

I wouldn't hesitate if that was all I had, but as it is, my choice is a Cobra derringer in .38 spl. My only readily concealable c & b is a Wells Fargo as far as size goes, and it isn't the most reliable of my cap and balls. I would carry the shorty Schneider & Glassick, but once again, every now and then you get a cap that doesn't want to cooperate.

Jake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »

I think a BP revolver woud do to carry although it would not be my first choice in this day and time . If restricted by law it would certainly be better than none , I find it hard to belive if your going to the trouble to carry that you would not want all the dependability you could get , if you carry a BP gun there are several things to maintain on a regular basis . Replace the caps every week and seal with clear nail polish or similar moisture guard , replace powder and ball every two to three weeks to ensure it hasnt drawn moisture Could vary according to your part of the county) . People carryed BP sidearms for two hundred years . Just be shure yours is ready .

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:08:02 AM »

Hi

I wasn't thinking carry so much as home defense where it's hard to get a license

Joel
NRA Life Member

Jake

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

I understand , if a BP revolver is all you can have then by all means keep one . 44 cal would be best, round balls as they do more damage , I would chose a '58' Remington but is open to opinion . Home defense would be a 5'' or short barrel . Kept handy and practiced with much  . Quite a few folks keep them , diffrent reasons .

brazosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

I have to retract my earlier statement. I replaced the nipples on my .31 Wells Fargo, and it is very dependable now. The concealability of it has caused me to begin to carry it more frequently as I go out and about. I also carry the .38 derringer. With both of these guns on my person, I feel very safe. At home, I keep a .357 magnum loaded, as it is easier and I don't have the humidity concerns I might have with a black powder gun. If I didn't have ammo for it, I would certainly load up either one of my .44 or .36's  hell, for that matter, I have a couple of .45 single shots that will do the trick! Not concealable though, lol! ;)

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 11:12:04 AM »

The smoke and fire coming from the barrel of a cap and ball would be plenty to scare off an intruder.  :)
I'm not paranoid, I'm heavily armed!

bigbore442001

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »

Many years ago I had embarked on one of my cross country trips to visit a college friend in Texas. Part of the journey involved visiting an internet friend who shared a passion for all things hunting and shooting. In our meeting, he showed me what he carried in the state of Texas prior to the change in law to allow concealed carry. He carried a cap and ball revolver. I cannot recall the exact make and model but he made an in the pants holster for it and it concealed very well.

Don't laugh and not to be off topic but often I carry a Ruger Single Six 5.5 inch 22 WRM loaded with Hornady's Critical Defense ammunition in a Rob Leahy Simply Rugged Sour Dough pancake holster with in the pants loops. It is very comfortable and doesn't print the issue of carrying a gun.

The cap and ball revolver he carried did not print under clothing and would get the job done if needed.  So there is a place for these guns, especially when the local laws really become an impediment.

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 03:54:37 AM »

IF all I had access to was a C&B revolver, yes, I would carry it.  But, if I had access to something more modern, absolutely not.

Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up