Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sizes of Percussion Caps  (Read 8953 times)

Griswold

• View Profile
Sizes of Percussion Caps
« on: November 24, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »

8) Ive read places that the different makers of percussion caps varies. That a # 10 Remington isnt the same size as a # 10 CCI
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:35:45 PM by Griswold »

Pustic

• View Profile
Re: Sizes of Percussion Caps
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

I've been using #11 caps and they work fine on all my revolvers and rifles.
I'm not paranoid, I'm heavily armed!

Griswold

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:04:44 PM »

8) also does a # 10 percussion cap means U need a # 10 nipple wrech to take the nipple out, and a # 11 for a nipple that takes a #11 cap. ????

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:54:58 AM »

He
Cap size has nothing to do with the nipple wrench needed. From what I understand it is more the depth of the cap (larger on the 11 then the 10) that is the size difference

Joel
NRA Life Member

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »

I always thought it was the diameter size. That seems to be the way it works on my guns. I tried putting #10 caps on one of my Remingtons and they wouldn't go on too good, so after I shot it and reloaded, I used #11 caps, and they slid right on, almost like it was made for the #11's.  :)

Griswold

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »

8) yes, it does seem like diameter difference, but buying a nipple wrench, what size is for what ?

Merry Christmas

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

8) yes, it does seem like diameter difference, but buying a nipple wrench, what size is for what ?

Merry Christmas
This nipple wrench will work on both #10 and #11 nipples. The base if the nipple is the same, it's the cone that's different.  :)

I have a couple of them.

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »

#10 remington caps workbest onall my guns remingtons and colts #10 cci caps seemto be alittle tight

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »

Here's a chart with nominal cap dimensions:

There is a long thread in the Darksiders Den over on Cas City about caps and nipples.  Use the search engine and enter caps.  The thread title is Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length and the author is Mako.  It is really interesting and has lots of pictures/diagrams

Griswold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »

8) fingers thanks for posting, I never knew there was a size difference between Remingtn & CCI caps .

Merry Christmas

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »

Hi

One thing to remember, and the CAS City post really makes this clear, is the nipple is cone shaped and the cap isn't. The nipple (and they used to call them cones for a reason) widens from tip to base so as you push the cap down the cone it is fitting on gets wider as you go. That's why the two Remington caps have the same opening diameter but fit differently bacause one has further to go down the cone before the bottoms out.

Joel
NRA Life Member

Griswold

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »

8) I see what U are saying " That's why the two Remington caps have the same opening diameter but fit differently bacause one has further to go down the cone before the bottoms out. " the picture is getting clearer in the mix up of sizes for each gun ? ? ? its a big topic to understand on many BP web sites. Thanks

Merry Christmas

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »

I find the cap size chart odd.

I have a Ruger Old Army and was given 2 old tins of Remington #11's, which fit, but would slide off of a few of the nipples. I bought CCI #11 magnums and found that all too often they needed to be struck twice to fire as they obviously didn't seat well.

I bought nipples from ToTW, which were supposed to be designed for CCI #11's, but had the same problem.

I was told to try #10's. I went to BassPro, which claims to sell both Rem and CCI #10's, but only found the Remingtons. I tried them on a nipple and it's a tight fit. I left it on. I've yet to fire them, but they seem to fit nicely.

Looking at the chart the numbers don't jive. With the way they fit tighter they ought to be a little smaller in diameter than the Rem #11's, which according to the chart are not.

I still need to find some CCI #10's to try as they are nearly half the cost of the Remington's.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

bigbore442001

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »

I had a lot of misfires with CCI caps on my Ruger Old Army. I went to the Remington No 10 caps and never looked back. They may cost a tad more but in the long run they are worth it for reliability. Goes off all the time.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »

The Rem #10's are all I've used as they work great, but I have been meaning to try CCI #10's and standard #11's so I know.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up