Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scarce Imperial Russian Colt M.1857 single action percussion revolver  (Read 4877 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Scarce Imperial Russian Colt M.1857 single action percussion revolver. The revolver was manufactured at the Tula arsenal in Russia. This type of the revolver was a standard issue handgun of the Imperial Russian officers from 1857 to about 1875. The revolver is an almost exact copy of Colt M.1851 Navy revolver. The Russian manufactured Colt percussion revolvers can be recognized by the screw heads being on the right side of the frame and by the belt shaped hilt. Many revolvers of this type were used by the Imperial Russian officers during the Polish January Uprising of 1863-1865. The revolver is very well made. It displays light engraving on the cylinder and on the upper part of the barrel. The latter also displays engraved wording, "S. Colt Patent" and the likeness of the Civil War era soldier holding a sword. Brass & steel frame. Brass trigger guard. Octagonal barrel. Six shot cylinder. Barrel length: 7.25 inch. Hardwood grips. Complete with the lanyard ring

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:53:09 AM by Jaxenro »
NRA Life Member

Kaido

• View Profile
Re: Scarce Imperial Russian Colt M.1857 single action percussion revolver
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »

I've seen these Russian Percussion revolvers in pictures before. The Grip looks more like an 1860 Army Grip. I had read that the Russians also coppied the Dragoons revolvers. Would you have any proof of this.

Kaido

G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »

Until now I had been unaware of this Russian model, this is very informative and of great interest.  The grip shape does look similar to the Colt 1860, but still different in angle, size and shape. Angle of the hammer spur and size of the cylinder stops  also seems different than the American and British versions.

Great photographs here, many thanks.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:57 AM »

Greetings

Notice the screws come in from the "wrong" side as well. Still doesn't look like it would be too hard to make one from a 1851. I would love to see some of these more obscure revolvers being reproduced.

Joel
NRA Life Member

Kaido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »

I wonder about this Model 1857. To me the cylinder looks longer then the Colt 1851 and barrel as well. What do you think?
I addition the Loading port is low like it was designed for Round balls where Colt was for both round balls and Conicals, And what type of rifling twist was in it? Progressive Gain Twist like Colt Remington etc? How many of this model were made and which troops carried them? I will have to do more research, it would be nice to see Pietta etc make a Firing Replica of it

old fogey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 05:45:25 PM »

Pretty gun (be nicer if'n it was mine though - be "skin"-polished every day [course barberian that I am, I'd be wanting ta pull the trigger every weekend])!
Pages: [1]   Go Up