Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?  (Read 13094 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: Is a percussion revolver a viable choice for self defense?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 11:08:14 PM »

Still might want to check for yourself and see, and possibly make adjustments.

If everything is similar you can see the difference a larger ball made. The .315" ball wasn't really worth while. The other is barely minimal from most people's perspective.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:11:05 PM by rodwha »
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

bubba15301

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 03:28:49 PM »

.320 rb is too large wont fit in the chambers .chambers are .314

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:11 PM »

I've been able to squeeze in a .490" RB into my .453" ROA chambers. It took some effort, but they went.

All I'm saying is that with the smaller balls the results were rather poor, and quite similar to a .25 ACP, which is about worthless unless you shoot 'em in the eye. You could slightly improve this by using a larger ball as it gives more bearing surface and increases the pressures/velocity. Or you could take it a step further and ream the chambers. But you'd want to check your bore dimensions first. If this is something you truly might protect yourself with I'd think you'd want it the best it can be.

And I've considered it myself. I really like the overall package, except that, even with reamed chambers and using short, wide FN bullets it would likely not be any more potent than a .32 ACP, which is marginal, but much better than what it would be stock.

For now I'm leaning more towards an Uberti Colt '62 Pocket Police. It's a little larger over all and a little more heavy, but it certainly has more punch, and fixed up I figure it ought to perform about as well as a .380 ACP or even a .38 Spl. But it just wouldn't be as handy as that little Remington, and by that I mean pocket friendly.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »

I would go with a Uberti Pocket Police with a 5.5 barel and a second barrel cut to 2.5 or 3.0 and a rounded grip strap (birds head) I am going to make a set like that soon. I would then modify the arbor socket to lock up solid, add Treso nipples, and the neat little T shaped cap holder and relieve the frame to channel the spent caps away. I would substitute the cylinder from a 1865 Navy (not fluted so maybe a little stronger) and use a full load of T7 with one of my banded lead wad cutters
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »

I've been considering the Cimarron model with the 4.5" barrel. I really want the loading lever.

Taylor's has a barrel that's 3.5" without a lever though. I'm thinking that's about as short as you'd want to go to still be able to take advantage of the powder capacity. I have nothing concrete to back that up though.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 04:03:43 AM »

That's why two barrels one to load with then swap on the shorty
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 11:02:46 AM »

Rather expensive to have a loading lever though.

I had considered the 6.5" barrel for a woods gun, and the 3.5" barrel for a pocket pistol, but a bit pricey and a bit of work for a range session, and why I figured I'd settle for the 4.5" version.

I'll likely eventually end up with both.  ;)

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »

I use mine for home defense, why not. That's why I usually buy a revolver and the conversion, either the Thuer, the R&D or a Krist so I have a home defense weapon and a black powder revolver all in one. Best of both worlds. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up