Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New South Wales Police 51 Navy  (Read 2252 times)

The Colonial

• View Profile
New South Wales Police 51 Navy
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:58:04 AM »

There were a lot of 1851 Model Colt Navies made and a lot of posts on this site about them. But this 51 Navy is different, it’s got some Australian history.
The colony wide New South Wales Police force was formed in July 1861 and this revolver was in the first batch of 51 Navies bought for the NSW Police that arrived at the Sydney docks on November 10, 1862.
It has the New York barrel address but with British proofs on the cylinder and barrel and ‘NSW POLICE’ right hand barrel lug and ‘No 304’ on the left.
These NSW Police Colts were only issued to mounted police and so saw much hard service though out their working life. As a result most have mismatched numbers resultant from in field repairs. It is very rare to find an all number match NSW Police 51 Navy. Mine only has the barrel and frame numbers, 130386, as a match.
If you have access to the book ‘Col. Colt Downunder, by Hayden Hughes & Robin Rapley’ you will see this gun shown on page 59 as being part of the Bernie Mack collection. Mr Mack is now deceased and this gun has passed into my collection.
Recent research has uncovered a reference to this revolver ‘NSW Police 304’ in police armourer’s records from 1879 stating that this revolver came in for repair from the Western Districts, a good indication that it was out there in the field chasing various thieves, murderers and other such low life commonly called bushranger in Australian history, as Ben Hall and Mad Dan Morgan.
Cheers, The Colonial

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New South Wales Police 51 Navy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »

Interesting gun and history. Does Colt have any info on that serial number?

It seems odd to me that Colt was exporting during the civil war
NRA Life Member

The Colonial

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 04:33:17 PM »

G’day Jaxenro

It is odd that Colt would export during the Civil War. The original order for 500 Navies was placed with the Colt London Depot in July 1861. Because of war pressures only 300 were delivered to Sydney in November 1862. The other 200 seem to have been delivered sometime later, but there are no remaining records showing when.

I’d love to get some information from Colt but because my ears don’t work as well as they used to I avoid using the phone, if anyone has an email address I’d appreciate it.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:36:12 PM »

I have an email address somewhere I will post. I had them look up a 1864 for me but sadly a lot of records were destroyed in the 1864 fire
NRA Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up