Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Makin' lube.  (Read 2093 times)

the_law_man01

• View Profile
Makin' lube.
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

I got ahold of some beeswax. I got about 1/3 of a pound for about $1.50. I used (approximately) equal parts beeswax and paraffin wax. I then added olive oil (testing periodically) until desired consistency was achieved. Now, when in the container at room temperature, it takes light-moderate pressure to indent the surface of the block. However, one can easily remove a bit with a butter knife. Once you have a bit in your hand, it is pliable and does not crack or crumble. I haven't been to the range with it yet, but I'm hoping it works well. I'm tired of messing with Crisco. I know it's not a good option, but you used what you have.

swathdiver

• View Profile
Re: Makin' lube.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:37:21 AM »

There's a many recipes as people offering them!  If it works well for you, keep at it. 

What are you using it for?  I have separate recipes for lube over the ball and lubing conicals and make my own bore butter now too for a fraction of the cost of those tubes.  Curiously, I came across the 1862 US Army recipe for lubing conicals which was 1 part Mutton Tallow and 8 parts Beeswax.  My own is nothing like that but of course, now I have to try it out! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up