Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Poll

What caliber do you prefer?

Other

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What caliber do you prefer?  (Read 9646 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What caliber do you prefer?
« on: September 28, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »

Greetings

What caliber do you prefer? Which do you own the most of?

Joel
NRA Life Member

bigbore442001

• View Profile
Re: What caliber do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »

For percussion revolvers, I own one caliber. The Ruger Old Army. In the future I would not mind obtaining a .36.

zb17ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »

I voted for 44, but...it depends. Most of the time I'm carrying my Pietta Colt 1861 Navy .36. This gun sits close to my bed during night...but for the field, I prefere Pietta Remington Buffalo Yank .44...12" barrel, Kaido bullet over 37 grains of Vesuvit black powder will kill anything I might encounter.
On the other hand, nothing fits my hand and feels so natural like Colt Navy

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

I voted 44 caliber i own a1860 colt army and 2 1858 remingtons would like try a36 caliber in future

brushhippie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

Ive got both and I prefer the .36s myself.

brazosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:38:39 AM »

I have .44, .36, and .31, but I got to say I like the .44 the best!

flahipneck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »

.44!

Fingers McGee

• Guns of the Late Unpleasantness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »

.36 of course.  As some one else has said "If it was good enough for Wild Bill, it's good enough for me"

scooby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »

.44 and only because I have fired many many rounds of that size.  However,  I am becoming very partial to .36 now that I have aquired several more revolvers in that caliber.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 07:42:22 AM »

Greetings

What I don't understand is 31 is usually described as anemic and 36 as a man stopper yet there is ony a .05 (1/20th) of an inch difference. Is the 1/20th of an inch that much that the bullet weighs that much less and uses that much less powder? The 36 is only 16% bigger than the 31, yet the 44 is 22% than the 36. I wonder if it has more to do with powder capacity than ball size?

Joel
NRA Life Member

scooby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »

I am of the opinion that it is not the difference between the size of the 31 ball and the 36 ball that gives the 31 the reputation a being anemic, rather is is because of the 31 caliber reproductions that have flooded the market. Fewer shooters own the 31 modles than the 36 models simply because of the 4 inch options that they have to choose from in either the pocket Remington and the 1848 baby Dragoon and the 1849 pocket. Those that do own a 31 most likely shoot them very little. First off, they have limited accuracy capabilities because of the short barrels and they usually shoot a mile and a half high. Shooting inaccurate pistols is not all that appealing, so most of the pocket modles set idle after being fired a few times and never really get a full evaluation.

Where one of the Italian firms to once again offer the 1849 pocket modles in the longer barreled versions, I think more percusion revolver enthusiast would buy and shoot them more often and develop a more sound opinion about the little 31 caliber. Instead, the 4 inch modles become more of a novelty rather than looked at as a formidable 19TH century era self defence weapon.

Consider a few factors. A search results in few published accounts of ballistic data for the 31 percussion revolver. Then, few people ever post their own ballistic results about them on the forums. Rather they post about how they are neat little pistols and look cute when posed next to a Walker or Dragoon. Instruction manuals for the reproductions list 10 and 12 grains of powder as the charge for a 31. So when you think on what readily information is available for the 31, with it's cute dimensions, 3 or 4 inch barrel, it's, small powder charge, and a 50 grain round ball, it can seem anemic from that perspective.

However, I have to wonder if one were to look beyond the typical perspective, if opinions would change. Consider my Uberti 1849 "Wells Fargo." I can get 16 to 17 volume grains of Goex 3f in the chambers behind a roundball. With 15 grains being a common charged used by many shooters in their 36 caliber revolvers, especially the brass framed modles, the charge that I can use in my 1849 is compareable. Then look at the published data from Lyman. Fired from a 5 3/4 inch barreled baby dragoon, they got 570 FPS with a 13 grain charge of Goex 3f and 795 FPS with a 13 grain charge of Goex 4f. 13 grains was the maximum charge used in the baby dragoon modle. Then with a 7 1/2 inch barreled 1851 Navy, they got 752 FPS with the minimum charge of 14 grains of Goex 3f and 884 FPS with 14 grains of Goex 4f. Considering the extra barrel length of the Navy and 1 extra grain of powder, velocity differences between the two calibers is not really all that significant, especially with the 4f.

Knowing that I can use 16/17 volume grains of Goex, I think that if I had a six inch barreled 1849 modle, I would see the 31 from a different light, as would others. Not only would it be more accurate, but it would have more velocity than the 3 and 4 inch barrels that are available. With 3f, I would guess the velocity would go into the low end 600 FPS level.

Colt originally offered both the 1848 and 1848 modles with barrels up to 6 inches. ASM and Uberti used to, but not anymore. If Uberti were to once again offer a 6 inch version, I would buy one in a second. Since that is not very likely, I hope to find one of the older Italian six inch barreled versions someday. It would get a lot more use than my 4 inch "Wells Fargo."

Update; I looked up some more recent published data and wanted to post it. From this source, a 4 inch barreled baby dragoon loaded with 13 grains of actual scale weighed Goex 3f achieved a velocity of 696 FPS. I just put the volume amount of powder that My Uberti 1849 will accept on the scale and it comes out to 14 grains by weight.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:25:29 PM by scooby »

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:31 AM »

Greetings

I tend to agree with your conclusions. I don't think Colt would have sold 350,000 of these if they were useless for self defense. I think with a 6" barrel and ffffg powder they generate enough power to get the job done in a compact package. Also a lot of testing is done at 15 and 25 yards when these were most likely used at 15 feet or so distance.

Joel
NRA Life Member

brazosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 08:04:38 AM »

I have one in a brass frame. What is a good charge of Pyrodex for it?

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »

I own six Remington New Army's, all in .44.  :)
I'm not paranoid, I'm heavily armed!

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

I have one in a brass frame. What is a good charge of Pyrodex for it?
If it's a .44, around 20 - 30 grns. If your going to punch paper, 20 will be fine, any other shootin' you have to experiment with, but try not to go over 30. I use 777 in mine, and I sometimes take my brass frame Remington Bison with the 12 inch barrel deer hunting, and I'll load up either 25 or 30 grains.  :D
I'm not paranoid, I'm heavily armed!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up