Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making Blackpowder  (Read 7647 times)

Griswold

• View Profile
Making Blackpowder
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »

8) Have any of U Gals or Guys ever made blackpowder for Cap & Ball revolvers.

brazosdave

• View Profile
Re: Making Blackpowder
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »

If ya go on youtube Brushhippie's got a good how to video primer on it.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »

Greetings

I have his video linked down below in the video section

Joel
NRA Life Member

Griswold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »

8) brazsdave, thanks that brushippie is a good video.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

For my Old Army I bought Triple 7 so as to better the performance of a 45 Colt, but I'm quite intrigued by Brushhippie's results with black powder made at home. For the .50 cal rifle on it's way I don't know, but I'd prefer to stock up on 1 powder...

But powder such as BH's would give me reason to make my own...
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:50:28 AM »

I wouldn't trust anything Al comes up with, nothing.
I'm not paranoid, I'm heavily armed!

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »

I'd be a bit reluctant to store a bunch of BP at home too. Not to mention I'd assume making it could be pretty hazardous as well.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Pustic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »

Making it yourself is very dangerous, especially when you mix the ingredients together. I store a lot of blackpowder at home, along with other powders.
I'm not paranoid, I'm heavily armed!

brazosdave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »

life is dangerous, you have to mitigate things by being careful. I make and shoot my own b.p. with Brushys technique and have had zero problems. The only problem is, I spend more on roundballs and caps because I shoot more! ;D

brushhippie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »

Yea if you cant follow directions or use common sense it can be VERRRRY dangerous.... but for the rest of us... its not any more dangerous than fueling your car.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:59:02 PM by brushhippie »

st8linegunsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »

Heres brushhippys recpe for anyone who wants it
there are also links for the ingredients.
 you can get a ball mill from harbor freight tools.

here is the recipe for brushhippies Mighty Magical Muzzleloading mix...
Mix together:
75% = 150 grams KNO3
15% =  30  Grams charcoal
10% = 20Grams sulfur
Tumble/grind for a minimum of 6 hours or longer.

After tumbling/grinding the mixture for atleast 6 hours add the binder/dexterin (AKA corn starch). Add 5% of the total weight of the powder mixture recipe which this recipe is a total weight of 200 grams so this recipe will require 10 grams of dexterin to be added to the mix then grind/tumble for an additional twenty minutes.

How to make Dexterin:
get a cookie sheet and spread the corn starch evenly across the cookie sheet and Bake in the oven at 400F for three hours.

after all four ingredients are all mixed together empty the tumbling container on a screen with a tray with news papers underneath to catch the powder
(do not breathe in any dust!) and sift the powder to separate the lead balls, replace the balls in the tumbling container.

once the powder is separated dump your powder onto the tray, use a credit card or bondo spreader to evenly mix in water to the consistency of damp sand so that it can be balled up into pucks.
but not so damp that when you squeeze it into a puck that you don't squeeze water out.
once the powder has reached the right consistency grab a hand full of the mix and squeeze it into a puck and rub it through the screen evenly on the tray   
 (#16 screen makes FFFgranuals), do the whole batch then allow the water to evaporate.
a tip to help the powder dry faster
before screening the powder place news papers over the tray this will help absorb the water out of the powder grains.

you now have a batch of brush hippies mighty magical muzzleloading mix

EDIT: to make your screen measure the outside dimensions of your tray then cut 4 pieces of 3/4"X4" lumber accordingly you will want to make the lumber slightly larger so that it will fit over the tray. on two of the parallel pieces you will need to add 1 1/2" to the total length of the wood in order to nail the pieces together. then start by stapling one side of the screen to the wood frame pulling it snug as you staple then pull the other side snug and staple then staple the other two ends tightly.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:18:34 PM by st8linegunsmith »

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 05:54:39 PM »

Thanks for the write up and welcome to this board
NRA Life Member

mikegray0422

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2015, 09:30:30 PM »

It looks like there's already been a good writeup on the procedure and links to Brush Hippie's youtube channel.  He does a great job of explaining the process.
I wanted to add that I got my components from www.skylighters.com.  They have a Black Powder component kit that works extremely well.  Every so often, they will run a sale on the kits making it very affordable.

I grind my homemade powder for 24hrs minimum in a 3lb Harbor Freight tumbler.  Any less and the burn speed suffers.  I stretched a couple of layers of regular aluminum window screening over a 1x2 frame and screen it through there.  The granuals come out right at 3F sized and hold together fairly well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up