Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1860 Uberti Fluted Cylinder  (Read 7175 times)

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
1860 Uberti Fluted Cylinder
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »

Here is a recent arrival.

I like the fluted cylinder on revolers and have a few.  (Always looking for more.)
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1860 Uberti Fluted Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

Nice. I keep looking at the Cimarron "McCollough" version would love a pair of them. Maybe late 2014 I seem to have the next four months already bought out
NRA Life Member

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

A pair of 1860's, only one fluted.

And three of my fluted revolvers, 1860, 1861, Pocket Police, (top to bottom), all Uberti, all imported by Replica Arms, Marietta, Ohio.

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »

Does the fluted cylinder chambers hold as much powder and ball as the rebated only cylinder? And if I remember correctly I thought there was a rebated and half fluted cylinder for the 60' Army similar to the 62 Police's cylinder. Anyone remember that cylinder for the 60' Army?

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 04:52:41 AM »

Chamber capacity is the same for the fluted/unfluted cylinders, at least in my 60s, 61s, and the Pocket Navy/Police models.

I am not aware of any half fluted C&B cylinders in the Colt line, except on the Pocket Police Model.  I am sure there are replicas so made but the replica makers are somewhat loose with the facts of the matter.

Crawdad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:14 AM »

Firearms in general and handguns in particular have never risen to the heights in the looks department acheived by those three revolvers. The 1860 Army, the 1861 Navy and the 1862 Police.  :)

TommyGunn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »

Chamber capacity is the same for the fluted/unfluted cylinders, at least in my 60s, 61s, and the Pocket Navy/Police models.

I am not aware of any half fluted C&B cylinders in the Colt line, except on the Pocket Police Model.  I am sure there are replicas so made but the replica makers are somewhat loose with the facts of the matter.

I used to think the 1860 half-fluted cylinders were a modern invention, but a book I have which dates back to the 1940s shows an original that does have this feature.  They were apparently only available special order from Colt .... and I infer it was not a very popular request.
But, while not common, the feature is actually authentic.
*"I predict future happiness for the Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." ~~ Thomas Jefferson.
* "That worked out well,"  Curmudgeon.

StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:02:22 AM »

... but a book I have which dates back to the 1940s shows an original that does have this feature...

WOuld love to see a picture if you can.  If not, which book and author?

mike116

• View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:27:01 AM »

WOuld love to see a picture if you can.  If not, which book and author?
Yes,  I too would like to know the name of the book.  I would probably consider buying a copy.   Give us all the info you can on it.

Thanks

Frank Graves

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »

He is probably talking about the Frank Haven and Charles Belden book A History of the Colt Revolver that is available on eBay, Amazon etc. 

The fluted cylinder version of the Model 1860 Army was on the earliest guns, not a special order feature.  Same for the Model 1861 Navy.  Both quickly went to the straight cylinder.  Only the Model 1862 Police had the fluted cylinders all of the way through production.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
NRA Life Member

Frank Graves

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »

It is a fake as the serial number range is way lower than this one shown for the real fluted cylinder Army revolvers and the cylinder in this one at the NRA Museum is not correct having been apparently been altered from a round, rebated cylinder.  There were several cases of this being done, to enhance value, before the proper serial number range was identified as this variation does have more rarity. 

The Haven/Belden book was the first serious Colt book and was done in the 1940s.  In the late '50s and '60s was a similar, but with more and better information, written by James Serven.  Then in the '70s was the Sutherland/Wilson book that had even more information, but by now some of that has been corrected.  An accomplished writer, Charles Pate, is nearing completion of a book solely on the Colt Model 1860 Army and by all reports is very accurate and up to date.  He has had access to the factory records and this book should be really good.  I think it is supposed to be out next year.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:24:40 AM by Frank Graves »

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »

Nice. I keep looking at the Cimarron "McCollough" version would love a pair of them. Maybe late 2014 I seem to have the next four months already bought out

Educate me please, What is Cimarron McCollough verson?

Bill

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »

Cimarron markets a fluted cylinder 1860 army in their :original" finish they call the "McCollough" version based on the ones he ordered for Texas just before the start of the civil war - if memory serves 500 of the 1,000 ordered were delivered
NRA Life Member

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

Cimarron markets a fluted cylinder 1860 army in their :original" finish they call the "McCollough" version based on the ones he ordered for Texas just before the start of the civil war - if memory serves 500 of the 1,000 ordered were delivered

Thank you very much,

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up