Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASM 1849 Pocket Model  (Read 2203 times)

scooby

• View Profile
ASM 1849 Pocket Model
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »

Manufactured by Armi San Marco, this revolver, #31135 is date coded AF/1980. It has a 5 & 3/4 inch bbl. and six shot, unengraved cylinder. An interesting note is that long barreled reproductions can be somewhat harder to find. The only current made 1849 Pocket by Uberti comes with the 4 inch bbl.

From my limited access to two older Dixie catalogs, I did find where they offered an 1849 kit with a 5 & 3/4 inch bbl. but they did not offer a finished version. The gave no info on who manufactured the kit, nor did they indicate if the cylinder was a 5 or 6 shot, or if it was engraved. The picture in the catalog is of too poor of quality to see much detail. My other Dixie catalog from 1997 shows a finished ASM 1849 with a 6 inch bbl. and 5 shot engraved cylinder, but the kit version was no longer available then. With that little bit of info, I have little to go on with this particular revolver.

Although my checks on the gun auction sites are random, I have only come across one of the ASM six inch versions and have seen no other six shot or smooth cylinder versions other than this one.

The revolver came to me in the case and was accompanied by the brass mould. I have since added the other items. Given all of the cosmetic flaws to the bbl. and cylinder from poor storage and handling, and the fact that I did not accuire the revolver with any future collector value in mind, I opted to refinish them both. I also spent some time improving the poor fit of the grip and grip frame to the main frame as well as strip and oil finished the grip. Lastly, I tuned and polished the innards. 

Regardless of the original condition upon receipt, the price was cheap and it passifies my wish list to have a longer barreled 1849. The fact that it is a six shot cylinder is neat to me as well because it falls in line with the uncommon six shot original 1849's. I will continue to look for the 6 inch, 5 shot engraved cylinder version and hopefully luck onto one.

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: ASM 1849 Pocket Model
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »

That is an exceptional piece! I prefer not to have the scroll marks around the cylinder, and I like the older look of the Colt's before they were streamlined. And a 6 shot too! Very cool!

Do you have problems with cap jams? It seems the pocket models tend to.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

scooby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »

Thank you very much rodwa. I was happy to read your comments!!!

I thought a bit on the issue of cap jams with my pocket modles, and had a tough time remembering if the issue was more problematic than with my full sized revolvers. I am sorry to report that I do not really recall them being more so, but is is in fact an issue with my pockets, just as it is sometimes with my full size modles. Some of my Colt revolvers seem to have a periodic cap issue more than others, but I have never attempted to address the issue with the common cures such as different sized caps, Treso nipples, or filling in the the safety groove in the hammer.

I have come to believe that a stiffer main spring helps with cap jams. The stiffer spring prevents the hammer from being blown back upon ignition of the powder charge, which in turn allows the spent cap to be dislodged from the nipple and into the hammer channel of the frame. Of course, this factor is then subject to the amount of powder that one shoots.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »

I'm enamored with the .36 cal Colt pocket models, but the cap jam problem has kept me looking at the .31 cal Remington instead. But I have read a few accounts that a change of nipples fixed this problem fairly well. Renewed hope!!!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up