Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remington Rider Pocket Revolver with Accessories  (Read 3550 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Remington Rider Pocket Revolver with Accessories
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »

Remington Rider Pocket Revolver with Accessories

Remington Rider Pocket Revolver, complete with its original pasteboard box and its associated accessories. The Remington Rider Pocket Revolver was an improvement over its predecessor the Remington-Beals Pocket Revolver, with a somewhat more robust, simplified and smoother action. The Remington Rider pocket revolver was produced from 1860 to 1873, with a total production of about 2,000. Initially it was produced as a percussion ignition .31-caliber pistol, but the later production guns often left the factory as cartridge pistols, chambered for .32 rimfire. The percussion models had 3” octagonal barrels, while some of the later cartridge pistols had shorter barrels with a length of 2” or 2 ˝”. Both pistols had five shot cylinders. The pistols were produced with blued barrels and cylinders, with either silver plated, or nickel-plated frames. The nickel frames are most often encountered on later production cartridge pistols. Some variation in finish has been noted, and some may have been produced with entirely blued finish. The hammers were color case hardened, the triggerguard was made of German silver, and the grips were checkered hard rubber (often misidentified as Gutta Percha). The earliest pistols had German silver cone shaped front sights dovetailed into the barrel, similar to the cone sights found on many of Remington’s early production large frame revolvers. However, the majority of the pistols were produced with a simple pin front sight. The double action lockwork of the revolver made the gun somewhat unique during its period of production, and the Remington Rider pocket revolver was one of the first widely produced American pistols to use that mechanism successfully.

NRA Life Member

The Colonial

• View Profile
Re: Remington Rider Pocket Revolver with Accessories
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »

G'day Jaxenro,

Was think'n what to post next and started to search the Remington revolvers when I came across this interesting piece, I thought it looked very familiar!

Yep it's a small world sometimes because I've got this same little gun #171, and a very nice one it is to, with it's box and accessories sitting the safe next to me!

One question, how many of these do you think where made in percussion?

Cheer The Colonial

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »

2,000 total maybe half and half? Maybe a little more percussion? Either way nice little gun you must have a interesting collection. A lot of my pics are from online auctions anything else you can tell us about this one?
NRA Life Member

The Colonial

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:41:20 AM »

Hi Jaxenro

No there is nothing else to add, the pictures tell the story, the Rider in its box with its accessories was a very good buy and a welcomed addition to my collection.

Cheers
The Colonial
Pages: [1]   Go Up