Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Springfield Arms Company Navy Revolver  (Read 1398 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jaxenro

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1077
    • View Profile
Springfield Arms Company Navy Revolver
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »

Springfield Arms Company Navy Revolver

Springfield Arms Company Single Trigger Navy Revolver (Flayderman 7A-101), and according to most arms historians, only about 125 of these pistols were manufactured. The Springfield Arms Company of Springfield, MA had a very short life as a company. It was formed in 1850 and by the end of 1851 it had been forced out of business due to intense legal pressure from Sam Colt and his corporate attorneys. The short lived company tried numerous interesting ways to circumvent the various patents that Colt held regarding revolving firearms, but in the end simply could not stand up to Colt’s relentless legal attacks. The primary designer of the Springfield Arms Company series of guns was James Warner, who went on to a number of successful endeavors in the field of firearms design and manufacture. The Single Trigger Navy Revolver was a 6 shot, .36 caliber, single action percussion revolver with a 6” barrel. The model was subsequently replaced by the Double Trigger Navy Revolver, which used a secondary trigger to index and lock the cylinder, this was done to try to avoid any patent issues with Colt. The single trigger version was a conventional single action revolver, where the manual cocking of the hammer also rotated and locked the cylinder for firing. One of the more interesting features of the gun was a special recess between two of the cylinder chambers that was designed as a safety rest for the hammer. This allowed the gun to be safely carried with all chambers loaded, and the hammer in a safe position. The guns were also usually decorated with an engraved panoply of shields, flags & arms on the frame and with an acid etched cylinder that featured floral motifs. The guns were marked in a single line on the topstrap: SPRINGFIELD ARMS CO. and in two arched lines on the right side of the frame (in the middle of the panoply of arms): WARNER’S PATENT / JAN 1851.





Logged
NRA Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up