Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rifling twist in Reproduction revolvers?  (Read 2097 times)

curator

• View Profile
Rifling twist in Reproduction revolvers?
« on: June 23, 2014, 05:48:22 AM »

My original Colt C&B revolvers all have gain-twist rifling. My Italian reproduction revolvers have what I feel is slow-twist rifling. My Pietta .44s and .36s seem to be rifled at about 1 turn in 30 inches which may be barely useful for round ball at 850 fps but not for a longer conical bullets if you want any kind of accuracy. My Ruger Old Army is rifled with a 1 in 16" twist and shoots ball or conical with substantially better accuracy than any of my reproduction guns. I have seen advertizements for "shooter's models" that list faster twist or "progressive" rifling. A survey of reproduction revolvers and their rifling specifications would be interesting and might explain why some are much more accurate than others.
Nole' me tangere

mike116

• View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.com
Re: Rifling twist in Reproduction revolvers?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »

Both major reproduction revolver manufacturers list specifications for all their models.   Regular models have been 1/30 for a long time.  Special models sometimes have different rifling.   The shooters models are progressive rifling but the target models are not,  at least with Remington reproductions anway.
You can look up the specs on Uberti and Pietta web sites.

rodwha

• View Profile
Re: Rifling twist in Reproduction revolvers?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »

My Pietta Remington 1858 has 1:16" twist as my ROA. It shoots my custom 170 and 195 grn WFN conicals equally well using 30 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 powders. It's not nearly as accurate as my Ruger though, which does equally well with the same bullets and 35 grns of either powder.

My custom bullets are rather short though. The 170 grn bullet is only .400" long, and the 195 grn bullet is .460" long. So these would likely do well in a slow twist barrel.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-170C-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-195C-D.png
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day
Pages: [1]   Go Up