Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .31 Sufficient?  (Read 2659 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
.31 Sufficient?
« on: January 15, 2014, 11:19:42 PM »

Who would think that a .31 cal Remington using a sporting grade 3F powder behind a wide FN bullet with an OAL of about .300" a fair entry level defensive weapon? I'm guessing the bullet would weigh about 50-55 grns. And I also assume the power would be nearly that of a .32 ACP (100 ft/lbs or maybe a bit more).

I really like the idea of a .36 cal Colt Police, but the size and weight of the Remington makes it hard not to consider...
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: .31 Sufficient?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 05:47:57 AM »

At a close distance it might work. I'd prefer a cut down 36 Colt pocket with birds head grips
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »

I would too as long as I could still use the loading lever. I don't want to need a loading tool as my range box is full and heavy as is, and I don't care much for the idea of using that little brass loading punch and a mallet either as it would be impossible to be consistent.

Outside of the size (both with a 3.5" barrel, and the Remington is still a bit shorter) is also the weight difference. It seems as though the Remington is near weightless, which is somewhat appealing as well.

I almost feel as though I ought to just get both!
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:37 PM »

I wouldn't trust my life to a .31 for one reason. Criminals are more likely than they've ever been to be on some sort of illegal, state altering drug. Little guns like the .31 rely on deterrence through pain. A guy on meth ain't feelin' any. I'd rather have a .44 sheriff. Yes, the .36 pocket police is heavier, but not by a lot, and you get sooo much more power. If you decide to tote a .31, load up with 4f behind a conical. Penetration is going to be critical.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »

I have one in the back. I'm wanting something I can just drop into a pocket.

Our neighborhood is on the outskirts of town as is only 11 years old or so, but we do have a young guy (23) who dresses like a thug, and I've thought he was selling drugs for a while as vehicles were coming and going often. I was told that he got out go jail some time back for armed robbery. And I've caught him walking down his driveway to get a better look into my garage while I was BBQing as I had a bass amp that I plugged my iPod into while I cooked. There was a drive by shooting at his house just a few weeks ago.

I'd prefer to have something readily available that wouldn't be off putting when it's a nice neighbor or the UPS guy at the door.

A .31 cal bullet, at best comparable to a .32 ACP, doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies at all. A .36 cal bullet comparable to a .380 ACP or .38 Spl would make me feel better, but I'm a true believer in big holes. Unfortunately there aren't any .44 cal Police models…

Cimarron makes a 4 1/2" version of the Colt Police, but I'm not so sure it's pocket sized. I don't want to need to load off of the gun and I'm not sure how well a brass loading punch gizmo works. I'd prefer to just have an on the gun loading lever.

I have seen some nice results from a .31 Remington using ball and I believe 3F Triple 7. Shot into a dry phone book it expanded to .40 caliber and penetrated to almost page 800.

StrawHat

• Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »

One of the weak point of the Remington 31 is the rammer.  It doesn't take much force before they break.
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 02:04:21 AM »

Yes, it's sufficient.  Shot placement is key as always.  Aim for the chest and it'll poke a bad guy's eye out putting him to pasture right quick.  Round ball is enough to end the threat too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up