Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do Italian Repro Revolvers have undersized cylinder chambers?  (Read 8047 times)

swathdiver

• View Profile
Re: Why do Italian Repro Revolvers have undersized cylinder chambers?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:50:18 PM »

ASP/Euroarms did make a shooters revolver that was advertised with a tighter twist barrel, maybe a Lothar?  Do not recall them mentioning the internals.

I have a book/manual from S&S Firearms called Cap and Ball Revolver Servicing.  It's quite thorough and well worth the money. 

tscmmhk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 09:53:40 AM »

Thanks Swathdiver,

I just received the Cap & Ball Servicing Manual you spoke about and I must say it has a lot more information than I expected. Thanks for sharing.

Kaido

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 03:34:19 AM »

The situation with Older Produced Percussion Replica Revolvers, had several complications amongst them Legal, Liability . The fear of being sued etc. Many early Produced Percussion Revolvers had smaller frames, barrel and cylinder boars and had metal steps in the cylinders so one could not place maximum powder charges in them. From what I have seen Original Percussion Revolver from the 19th Century were over all larger and had bigger bore diameters as well as deeper cylinder chambers, some say even on the originals the Cylinder walls were tapered had steps, from what I have seen that was not the case. The Replica Percussion Revolvers made after the year 2000 from what I have seen, have now larger frames and the cylinder bores are bored strait and down low as possible to the start of the threads of the nipples. Pietta Uberti made Replica Revolvers have the Cylinders bored strait and are large. Some say this came into being with the advent of Conversion Cylinders that would now require a stronger frame and overall gun. I am very Pleased that Pietta/Uberti etc now make their Percussion revolvers this way, as it is line with the Original sizing and allows for more powder to be used in the cylinders. That is important for people wishing to use a Percussion Revolver as a Hunting implement especially for Big Game Animals. With the development of hotter powders and propellants that are also in line with the 19th century fine sporting pistol powders and the invention of my Universal Bullets for Hunting use, today's Percussion Revolvers have become real choices for the hunter to take afield weather as a backup side arm or as a main hunting implement they are Big Medicine!. So the New Deeper Strait walled Cylinder Chambers are a great improvement that should be retained and not done away with. Kaido Ojamaa.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up