Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grease Grooves  (Read 4006 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Grease Grooves
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »

I notice that most conicals/bullets meant for black powder use have very large grease grooves. With a cap n ball pistol is this really necessary? Even an 8" barrel is rather short, and I wonder if the lube right up against the interior of the bullet would even be useful.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

long hunter

• View Profile
Re: Grease Grooves
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »

Yes, it most definitely is useful. It makes the conical easier to load, prevents leading in the bore, and keeps fouling soft.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »

When loading RB's in my Old Army I quit using lubed wads. I haven't noticed any problems per say with fouling.

I'm fine with lubing my pistol bullets, but I've wondered if the styles with deep grooves were just a waste of lube.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »

Larger grease grooves make for easier loading. You don't have to fill them.

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »

Was wondering, I currently use Crisco over my round balls on my BP revolvers. If using bullets rather than balls, would this suffice for lube or do the lube grooves need to be used.

As soon as I can get some beeswax, perafrin, and oil, I'm gonna make some bullet lube. For hunting/carry I plan to melt the lube a bit, and drip a ring of lube in the chamber where the bullet meets the chamber wall. I will not be filling the chamber. Just enough to ensure a seal around the bullet and at the same time hopefully it will be enough lube for firing the bullet.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
TLM

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

I make Gatofeo's lube and with the excess I poured it into a soap mold. I then cut that into 6 cubes and hand lube my grooves. It's tedious, but I enjoy doing it that way.

I'm curious how you intend on melting the lube in the field? It would be much easier to lube the grooves while at home.

BGRooster1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »

It is not necessary to put lube in the grooves of a conical for cap & ball revolvers. I have been using a lubed wad under the conical with good results and no leading. I don't see why a lubed pill wouldn't work alone also.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 12:08:06 PM by BGRooster1 »

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »

I may not want to take up powder capacity with a wad.

I intend on buying a custom mold from Accurate Molds and had him reduce the size of the lube groove compared to typical bullets.

Southron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »

The purpose of lube is to not only ease the passage of the bullet through the barrel but also to keep black powder fouling soft. Big grease grooves on a black powder bullet, fulled with lube is better than Small grease grooves filled with lube.

HARD black powder fouling is a detriment to accuracy, so what you want is a lube that "softens" the black powder fouling left in your bore.

Avoid using PARAFFIN in my lube mixes as paraffin is a petroleum product and tends to produce a hard, "asphalt type" black powder fouling. Instead of paraffin use beeswax in your lube formula.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »

I usually swab my bore good and greasy with jojoba oil it's not like a muzzleloader where you worry about it fouling the powder

i think if you do that before shooting and are only shooting a few bullets for hunting purposes grease groves are unnecessary
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »

The idea behind reducing the grease grooves was mostly to reduce OAL of the bullet. And figuring that my longest barrel is only 7.5" it didn't seem like the deep lube grooves of some bullets was necessary, and I wondered if the reasoning wasn't for cartridges and long guns.

Looking at the Lee conicals and a few others they are rather shallow and small.

I've read a bit on how, for some reason, paraffin doesn't seem to leave behind any tar-like residue, and I cannot say I've noticed any. It's been used in the revolver wads for quite some time, and the original recipe is rather old, though I'm not sure how old as I don't believe they were used way back when.
Pages: [1]   Go Up