Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Updated the Originals Section in Period Knives with New Pictures

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gatofeo's #1 Lube  (Read 6864 times)

rodwha

• View Profile
Gatofeo's #1 Lube
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »

Anyone else use this?
All parts by weight:
1 part beeswax
2 parts paraffin wax
2 parts mutton tallow

I've been using this for my homemade felt wads as well as pouring excess into a soap mold and cutting it into smaller cubes to use as a bullet lube by using it like a crayon to fill in the grooves. It may not be as fast or easy as pan lubing, but I enjoy it.

If anyone is looking for quality punches at a reasonable price I found a fellow on another forum who's a retired machinist who makes them for $10 each.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gatofeo's #1 Lube
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »

Hi

I have used this before sometimes I add a little olive oil to soften it a little. Was going to make another batch soon I melt it in a crock pot so it goes on low heat and don't burn

Joel
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »

I've read how many feel that paraffin, having some sort of petroleum stuff in it, won't be good in the lube. I've been using mostly Pyrodex and a little Triple 7, which I'll be using exclusively once the Pyrodex is gone, and can't say I've noticed any tar like problems.
"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of truth and of life You hold." - Third Day

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »

I made a batch today put 1 pound paraffin, 1 pound beeswax, 1 pound mutton tallow, and 1/8 cup jojoba oil in a crock pot and heated until melted then ladled into 4 oz jelly jars. I did two batches filled 26 jars and have a small cake left over

I usually just put a smear between the powder and ball when loading
NRA Life Member

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »

You just dab a bit on the underside of the ball and ram it home?

I'm not sure if lube makes much difference. I was told some time back that it was a waste of time/money when using T7, but I still haven't been using any with the Olde E I've been shooting through it lately. Kinda hard to tell what's going on when you get too many holes in the target. All I know is I killed it a lot!

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:13:48 AM »

Put the powder in, smear a dab across the chamber, then put the ball in. I don't think it matters too much for accuracy just help keep the fouling softer and easier to clean afterwards.
NRA Life Member

swathdiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »

My current summer (Florida) recipe is 6 parts Mutton Tallow, 1 part Beeswax and 3 parts Olive Oil.  The other wax was dropped as it made the lube too stiff in my opinion. 

While experimenting, with just 2 parts Olive Oil melted lube was poured over a charged cylinder's balls and kept for several months in the spring and early summer.  When that gun was finally fired, the other chambers held their lube until firing.

This 6-1-3 recipe has currently covered another cylinder for several months now, being left in the car and summer heat with no problem.  It also has been used to lube over the balls at the range with a plastic knife and while not as stiff as the 6-1-2 recipe, is much easier to work with. 

This same recipe when melted has been poured over wool felt and wads punched from it when dry.  Works fine but if I were to use them in a cylinder charged for a long time or in paper cartridges, I'd reduce the Olive Oil for a dryer/harder mix.  It would be 6-1-2 or 6-1-1.

I made another batch to replace bore butter but it's still a work in progress as its too thick, needs more olive oil.  That recipe was 1 part Mutton Tallow, 1 part Beeswax and 5 parts Olive Oil.  It cleaned the guns just fine, lubricated the triggers and hammers fine but was too thick on the cylinder pins and arbors.  I'm thinking of doubling the Olive Oil content.  Other projects have put that on the back burner for now.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:21:46 AM »

I tested my new lube this weekend. Cut a small piece out, rolled it in a ball with my fingers, flattened it out between them, and put it in the cylinder over the powder and under the ball. Shot 4 cylinders full everything stayed soft and worked fine cleanup was easy.

Ran a wet patch through the barrel with jojoba oil on it then dry patches until they came out clean and the barrel was clean then a wet one to oil it up took five minutes about the same for the cylinder wiped the rest down and was good to go
NRA Life Member

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 12:11:45 AM »

If anyone is looking for quality punches at a reasonable price I found a fellow on another forum who's a retired machinist who makes them for $10 each.

I heard you can punch them out of an old felt hat. I have a job now where I'm issued a felt hat for winter months. As they get old, I can use them to punch wads from if this is true.

I'm interested in one.

Thanks,

Joe

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 12:25:59 AM »

Check out Durofelt.

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »

Indeed you can punch wads from felt hats. I've read of a fellow who shops at thrift stores looking for them to do just that. Gets them for around $1.

I buy my felt from Durofelt though.

long hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:35 AM »

If you can find some old felt hats cheap, by all means, go for it. I just never find any.

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 05:25:54 AM »

Just make sure the felt in the hat is 100% natural (wool, fur, whatever) as polyester will melt in form plastic goo in your barrels
NRA Life Member

the_law_man01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:34:50 PM »

Good point!

Where do I find a punch the right size for .44?

rodwha

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:00:46 AM »

A 7/16" punch seems to work for many. Some have used the cheap set you can get from Harbor Freight. I bought them, but they were so dull I couldn't beat it through with a hammer. I found a guy on a traditional forum who is a retired machinist who makes custom punches to your size for $10 + shipping. Works great!

It's recommended that the punch be slightly larger than the diameter needed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up