Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shot the Ruger Old Army today.  (Read 2482 times)

bigbore442001

• View Profile
Shot the Ruger Old Army today.
« on: March 10, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

Today was the monthly meeting at the rod and gun club so I took my Ruger Old Army percussion revolver along for use after the meeting. We had the meeting at 10 AM and on Sunday we have a rule for shooting at 12 noon. So after chatting with some friends off I was at the snowy pistol range.

There is something therapeutic about shooting black powder. There is a methodology when shooting black powder arms. I'd load the cylinder with 40 grains of Hodgdon's Triple 7 powder in 3 F granulation, then tamp down a felt wad. Load all six chambers then load a Buffalo Bullet conical. They can be tough to find but these 190 grain round nose conicals are fun to shoot. Put Remington No 10 percussion caps on the cones or nipples as they are commonly found and then proceed to shoot.

I fired several cylinder fulls at the range. What amazes me is that this gun is one of the most accurate revolvers I own. With this full charge I had a group at 25 yards with all bullet holes touching. I can't complain about that.

My next mission is to make some speed loaders for field use. I have a desire to do some walking around in the woods and feel like carrying the Ruger Old Army. Right now, all of the seasons for hunting are closed but it is still comforting to have something on you out in the wilds.

swathdiver

• View Profile
Re: Shot the Ruger Old Army today.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »

Instead of speed loaders, why not paper cartridges? 

I too plan on taking mine to the woods and fields come season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up