Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: COLT PATERSON NO. 5 "TEXAS" MODEL PERCUSSION REVOLVER  (Read 4720 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
COLT PATERSON NO. 5 "TEXAS" MODEL PERCUSSION REVOLVER
« on: December 22, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »

COLT PATERSON NO. 5 "TEXAS" MODEL PERCUSSION REVOLVER. SN 133. Cal. 36. Rare Paterson revolver with only about 1,000 produced in the period 1838-1840. This example has a 7-1/2" oct bbl with tiny German silver front sight and the usual 1-line bbl address "Patent Arms M'g. Co. Paterson, N.J.-Colt's Pt." with a snake & star pattern at each end. Muzzle & breech end of the bbl have two silver bands with two additional bands on bottom of bbl lug. There is an additional silver band around recoil shields. Cyl is usual 5-chambers with traces of the orig stagecoach holdup scene and rounded shoulder. Mounted with what is probably an orig 1-pc ivory grip constructed of two slabs of ivory attached to two spacer blocks in the middle. SN was observed on rear face of bbl lug, wedge, cyl rotating ring, rear face of cyl, cyl plate and right side of the front & back straps, under the grip. Accompanied by a letter dated April 29, 1974 on James E. Serven letterhead addressed to Mr. Charles Williamson and over Mr. Serven's signature wherein he states that he had examined this revolver and found it to be completely authentic with the possibility that the grips were a very old replacement. The U.S. military ordered 150 of these revolvers, 100 of which were issued to the Pacific squadron in Dec. 1841. In April 1839 the Republic of Texas purchased 180 of these revolvers for the Navy which were later issued to the Texas Rangers. None of these military & state contract revolvers are known to have inspector marks. Given the time frame of these rare revolvers and the circumstances under which they were used, it is amazing that any have survived at all today. Of those rare survivors known today very few are in orig configuration with any orig finish or cyl scene. Only a small number of the orig 1,000 revolvers had silver bands

NRA Life Member

Stillwater

• View Profile
Re: COLT PATERSON NO. 5 "TEXAS" MODEL PERCUSSION REVOLVER
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

I am aware of the age of this post... There are four notches filed into the frame. It would be interesting to know what the four notches represent.

Bill

Edited to add:

I would hardly think those four notches would represent misfires...

BW
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:55:47 AM by Stillwater »

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »

You can comment on old threads I posted a lot of these pics I pulled from online auctions and the like for reference
NRA Life Member

Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

You can comment on old threads I posted a lot of these pics I pulled from online auctions and the like for reference

Pulling these pictures for reference is a great thing to do. Thank you for doing it...

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up