Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New Section - Percussion Revolvers of a Private Collection

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two-Handed Hold  (Read 3357 times)

shooter13

• View Profile
Two-Handed Hold
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:48:36 PM »

This has been gnawing at me for some time.  It seems every time I watch a movie that features cap and ball revolvers in it, some of the shooters use a 2-handed hold on the pistol.  Some use an isosceles hold and some even use a modified Weaver hold(!).

I realize that documentation on this must be harder to find than a lot of the "usual habits" done back in the day, so I have to resign myself to barking at the shadows.

But what are the opinions of folks out there?  How do you think revolvers were held when being shot?

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Two-Handed Hold
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:20:40 AM »

No proof but I think one handed for the most part
NRA Life Member

Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 03:36:47 AM »

I would guess that one handed would be the rule of the day. But when blasting a way with a Colt Walker,or a Dragoon, I think 2 hands would be allowed. With the Walker, its the 4 1/2 pounds pulling down that is the hard part. Real front end heavy. I know,I have one of each. Makes a right nice club though.

Drayton Calhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »

Not much documentation on how they were held. Even the 'shooting from the hip' is a little ambiguous. My belief is that what was meant was firing from a center of mass hold more than waist level. Once again, not much documentation.
Cry ‘Havoc,’ and let slip the dogs of war;

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »

I do remember a true story where the gunman was pointing the barrel up between shots - something to do with cap jams - I doubt that it was done two handed

Also I thought the practice was to turn sideways to show a slimmer profile?

As for documentation two things that might help:

1. Any civil war /indian war manuals on revolver shooting for officers or cavalry?

2. When was the two handed hold introduced and taught? Seems like if you could pin that down then the one handed hold would predate that
NRA Life Member

Drayton Calhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »

I read about the slimmer profile thing too, but, any hit almost guaranteed to be fatal. Vital organs from hip to head, major blood vessels waist down. Dave Tutt was a fine example. That was the way it was taught until the 1950's or so. The two hand hold was still fairly new instruction when I joined the Navy in '75.
Cry ‘Havoc,’ and let slip the dogs of war;
Pages: [1]   Go Up