Percussion Revolvers

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

700th Revolver Picture Set Just Posted

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joslyn Firearms Company Contracts, History, and Notes  (Read 2303 times)

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Joslyn Firearms Company Contracts, History, and Notes
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »

Joslyn Firearms Company in Stonington Connecticut from 1862 to 1865 

Notes:
"Less successful with the Government was another Freeman, W.C. Freeman, of Worcester, Massachusetts. Though he consciously used a United States Senator, the Hon. W.S. Williams, to act in his behalf in Washington, he failed to get what he wanted.
Freeman offered through Williams on June 7, 1861, to make for the Army the revolver designed by Benjamin F. Joslyn at $25 dollars each. A .44 caliber solid frame five-shooter, its side hammer and rear-removing cylinder pin reveal the influence of Root and Colt's designs. The barrel is octagonal, screwing into the frame, and shaped with a lump at the rear for the pivot screw of the hinged loading lever. The barrel is stamped with B.F. JOSLYN/PATD MAY 4TH 1858, in two lines. Some have a Navy anchor stamped in the butt or in the underside of the barrel, but none have U.S. inspectors' initials on the grips, because the order of 500 guns given to Freeman by Ripley was annulled.
Freeman stated to the Commissioners in explaining his reasons for non-delivery, that 'The delivery has been delayed by our desire to give the Government a good article (the pistols then on hand not being in all respects what the government needed)' and by failures to obtain machinery which the makers diverted to Springfield Armory. Holt and Owen decided to annul this contract and no guns were to be obtained of the Joslyn make except in open purchase at not more than $15.
Apparently the inventor was a man of no mean manufacturing and organizational skill, and he became tired of Freeman's failures in working with his guns. Freeman had obtained through Williams a contract in 1860 for 1,000 Joslyn carbines and had been able to deliver only 200. Now Joslyn took over the business and moved the works to Stonington to his own Joslyn Firearms Company. Eight hundred and seventy-five Joslyn patent revolvers caliber .44 were bought from Joslyn himself at $22.50 each, between January and May, 1862. An additional 225 appear to have been a Navy purchase. Private sales, mostly of Stonington make, may have totalled 2,000; serials up to about 3,000 have been seen. Williams' supposed influence availed Joslyn and Freeman little in the way of selling guns to Government." - Edwards

"The only other .44 caliber revolver purchased by the Navy during the war was the Joslyn. In June (1861), a five-shot .44 caliber Joslyn revolver was sent to the Washington Navy Yard for testing. The revolver was fired 150 rounds with good results. Dahlgren states in his June 28 report on the Joslyn, 'I am induced to request that one hundred of these pistols may be ordered for use in this yard.' The order for 100 Joslyns was placed with Benjamin Joslyn on July 1. The first 50 were delivered in September and the balance in the following month. They are stamped 'USN' on the buttstrap, and a small anchor is located on the underside of the barrel. The Joslyn revolvers found their way onto ships being outfitted for service in the Potomac Flotilla. The side wheel steamer Underwriter and the tug Yankee were both issued a quantity of Joslyns. As late as 1865, some of the Joslyn revolvers were still in use on the Yankee. The Underwriter was captured and destroyed by a Confederate boat crew while at anchor in the Neuse River near Berne, North Carolina, on February 2, 1864. If the Joslyns were destroyed with the Underwriter, this may be one of the reasons why so few of the naval stamped Joslyns survived." - McAuley

"During the Civil War, from 1 January 1861 1,100 Joslyn revolvers $24,793.00." - Hartzler, Yantz & Whisker

Contracts:
U.S. Army of January 11, 1862 - 150 Joslyn .44 Army Model Revolver 
U.S. Army of January 24, 1862 - 200 Joslyn .44 Army Model Revolver 
U.S. Army of January 30, 1862 - 100 Joslyn .44 Army Model Revolver 
U.S. Army of March 3, 1862 - 200 Joslyn .44 Army Model Revolver 
U.S. Army of March 24, 1862 - 100 Joslyn .44 Army Model Revolver 
U.S. Army of April 10, 1862 - 125 Joslyn .44 Army Model Revolver 
U.S. Navy, September, 24th, 1861 - 50 .44 caliber Joslyn Revolvers 
U.S. Navy, October, 26th, 1861 - 50 .44 caliber Joslyn Revolvers 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:02:33 PM by Jaxenro »
NRA Life Member

crttaylor

• View Profile
Re: Joslyn Firearms Company Contracts, History, and Notes
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »

My name is Cliff Taylor

I have a joslyn .44 1885. Revolver is in poor shape, the gun has been stripped down no trigger and guard or grips
The gun has a surface rust witch I do not want to remove with a s# of 87
this gun does not look like any revolver I seen before the barrel and the front sight are different as you show any
of your pictures or others
can send picture
thanks Cliff

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »

please post them or send them to me and I will post them
NRA Life Member

crttaylor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:11:22 PM »

did you get the pictures of the gun still working on better pic been out of town

Jaxenro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:26:36 AM »

Hi
Received the pics will be posting them shortly. I was injured in a fall that broke some bones around my eye and it is slowly recovering so I wasn't posting as much
Joel
NRA Life Member
Pages: [1]   Go Up